organic egg cleaner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vtgirls, Jan 13, 2011.

1. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    When our new flock is established we plan to start selling eggs. Any recommendations for an "organic" egg cleaner?

2. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I don't wash mine, but what's wrong with water? They shouldn't be getting so soiled that you need a cleanser.

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I see no reason to clean eggs... much controversy on that subject, here. If the eggs look clean, I put them in a carton for sale. If they are dirty, I wipe them off with a paper towel, and either sell them, or eat them. If you keep your coop clean, and have plenty of clean, nesting material in your nest boxes- I doubt you will have much trouble with "dirty" eggs. Washing the "bloom" off the egg, reduces its shelf life.

4. vtgirls

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    LOL - I did not know it was a debated topic! I actually almost never even have poo on the eggs! My kids check for eggs about a million times a day so they are never sitting around or even have time to freeze. Right now I've only 4 hens and a roo - our coop is awfully clean - like enough for a person to move in!
    ......I just thought it was something I am expected to do by potential custmers!

5. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    No dirty eggs here either. Coop is cleaned daily. We have a "pooper scooper" and we have 4 nesting boxes. Our Silkies use the nesting boxes. We are in the coop at least twice daily.
    once to gather and then once to give them treats.

We have a camera in our coop and we can check-out what is going on.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:We sell a couple thousand dozen organic eggs a year from our farm and on a small sales route in town. I do not sanitize the eggs, but I do wipe them down. Generally, I just run hot water over them and then wipe them dry with a terry cloth rag before I pack them.

Many of our customers don't care if they are washed or not and most of our eggs don't really need any cleaning, but I don't like to sell any dirty eggs and just wipe them all down to be thorough. If your eggs are clean anyways I really wouldn't bother.

There is a bit of a contention here about whether they should washed or not, as the cuticle tends to seal the egg and keep it fresher. I feel that we sell very fresh eggs anyway and most people aren't keeping them around for longer than a week, so the point about keeping them "fresher" is pretty moot.

7. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Quote:Not sure how many eggs you will be selling with only four chickens.[​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use Egg Washer Pro- you'd have to google it to see if it is organic-approved though.

9. vtgirls

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    Not sure how many eggs you will be selling with only four chickens.

True - not so many - I will have a flock of 30 or so by early spring.... Have a Mama who just hatched out 5 fuzz bums and have another 20 on order so should bump up the production a bit by fall ;-)​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by