Organic egg production

nissalovescats

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2016
Daggett, Upper Michigan
I was wondering if anyone has any experience in small-scale production of organic eggs. I have local sources of organic feed but was wondering about other aspects especially regulations. If I feed my hens organic feed only can I put 'organic fed' or something on the egg carton, even though I'm not rich enough to get certified by Big Government? I have a local organic grocery that's willing to buy my eggs.

I have been selling my eggs off the farm previously but they were only free-range, not organic fed. Since there was no source of organic grain at the time. I am putting the chickens in a portable pen this year and they will have daily moves onto fresh ground. (Yes, I've read the Joel Salatin book.)

In searching for the appropriate information I've run across a US govt site that said the rules for using the word 'organic' don't apply if you make less than $5000 in sales. Though I still wouldn't put just 'organic' on the label, but 'organic fed' or some such.

I read one regulation that I'm not sure actually applies to laying hens--- it said that the hens have to be fed organic from the second day of life. Which means that all of my layers are not organic enough, but my baby chicks will be. But that means that we can't rescue spend laying hens from commercial confinement eggeries and rehab them with organic feed--- which is more in the spirit of the organic movement than anything else I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom