Organic eggs when the chicks grow up

chickenlover02

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2015
Well me and my sis recently got some chicks on easter. (we are first time owners) A lady at ace told us to feed them medicated food but my mom wants our chicks to produce organic eggs when they are older. So do we need to feed them medicated stuff right now out is there an organic feed I can get. Also can the chicks go without using any medicated food. I know purina has a new organic poultry feed so we might try that. Thx in advance.

Well you could not certify them organic, but yes you could still consider them organic for your own use. No they do not need medicated feed, but you will have a higher survival rate if you use it. I honestly am not sure what medicated feed has in it.

Last edited:
Please do not waste your money on purina organic feed. If you would like to go organic, have organic eggs, free range your birds, if this is an option. That way your birds will get all the healthy bugs, grass, grains, nature can provide. It also significantly decreases your feed cost. For feed you might look up organic Mills in your area. Most Mills sell premixed chicken feed. You might also look up your sustainable ag group for your state, just Google sustainable ag and your state. That group can help you find small local farms and Mills that would meet your needs.

You can always start on medicated chick starter then give them nonmedicated around 12 weeks old. That's plenty of time for their systems to clear before they lay. I did this with my first 4 hens and it worked great. I had one get coccidosis and had to treat with corrid but that was because she also had bumble foot and her immune system took a crap...literally lol

Organic has only ONE definition, not one for home use and one for sale. By National Organic Standards, to produce Organic meat or eggs, poultry must be managed by NOS from the second day of life. That standard includes both feed and housing. Yes, even the litter matters. 'Prophylactic' (preventative) treatments are not allowed. Free range alone does not provide adequate nutrition; chickens require supplementary feed - and unless it's on a certified organic pasture, free-range may eliminate their being even functionally organic. Fertilizers, herbicides, and insecticides used on most human-inhabited areas remain in soil and plants and are completely off-limits for organic production. It might be more reasonable to go for 'pretty clean' eggs; use organic feed to avoid the arsenic, try to find an untreated area for them to roam in.

Back
Top Bottom