Organic eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debashan, Nov 6, 2007.

1. debashan

debashan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    What defines an organic egg? Can my eggs be called "organic" even if the hens are fed a prepared laying feed? I get the feed from a grain mill co-op, they prepare themselves right there. There aren't any meds added, but don't want to declare them something they're not. I'm getting ready to hopefully start selling a few doz. a week and would like to be able to state that. They also free-range an few hrs. a day and receive healthy kitchen scraps. Thanx, Debbie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Organic eggs are eggs which have hens who grew up on organic chicken feed and have never eaten non organic foods. To sell them as organic, I think their feed must be certified organic and if you ever use meds, they have to be organic too.

3. debashan

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    That sounds very ingredient specific. I'm thinking they're not then, I'm assuming the grain that is brought into the elevator, where these feeds are milled, is your average farm crops, from the local farmers. I've never heard any of the farmers mention the word"organic." Thankyou for your insight.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    One of the issues with 'organic' is that there is a wide range of what the word means in regards to food.

If you want to stay completely 'safe' with your egg labeling, then I'd call them 'free range' or 'cage-free' eggs.

Some people say if they are penned in at all they aren't free ranging... some say if the pen is large enough they are - really it's up to you to define.

Main thing is to let folks know they are allowed to graze freely and they aren't caged.

5. debashan

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    That is exactly what I'm going to do! thankyou for pointing that out to me. When I was buying eggs, before I had my own chix, those were the ones I bought. In the big scheme of life, even expensive eggs are relatively cheap, but free, really good eggs, are better. {well kinda free] Thanks!

6. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a vague memory of seeing something about where the girls are raised as well. If they free range that land has to be declared organic (not an easy process) and I think even the structure of the coop (non-treated wood???) is involved. And it starts from, what day 2?

Happy hens lay happy eggs. For local sales folks around here want to know if the girls are well-treated. But as well taken care of as our birds are they are not truly organic.

7. debashan

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    as detailed as it all seems, it's hard to believe any grocery store egg, is called "organic". I take great care w/ my chickens and but can't say a chemical has never touched their coop and probably them, too. It's kinda scary to think of the years of egg-eating I've done from the chickens that I'm sure, never lived a day of their lives like any of the chickens in the care of this group, have been able to enjoy.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, all that junk for organic starts at day one. They can never touch non organic stuff or it cannot be USDA labeled organic... I think it takes 7 years to certify a field as organic, and it must not get any drafts from non organic field sprays too.... Personally, I think it's just a marketing scam.

9. debashan

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    Doesn't it seem almost impossible to accomplish all that, even on a small scale? It's crazy to think what that must cost, and what do they charge for the eggs? I've never bought any.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's pretty much ridiculous, if you ask me. The USDA is always redefining words and making you jump through hoops. I don't call my eggs organic because they don't fit the narrow USDA guidelines, but no one cares-they know they're better than grocery store eggs. These are the two labels I put on my eggs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by