Organic feed in south Louisiana?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BayouPoules, Jan 6, 2011.

1. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Do any of you in south Louisiana purchase organic feed from a store or mill? Shipping costs are just too much! [​IMG]
    I've called around in Slidell, Covington and Pearl River and checked the webb,. finally thought of asking here before I make more calls. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks for any info,.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    No, I don't purchase organic food. I always thought it would be too expensive.

3. BayouPoules

Quote:It is,.. especially for a big flock like yours,. but with the new law just passed,. the GMO grains are going to be even more pronounced in our foods and animal feed. the main reason for our birds is for healthy eggs and meat,. what goes in them,.. ends up in my family,.. so I pay a little more for corn without frog DNA in it.
    I just spoke with the new TSC manager in covington and she is looking into getting some organic feed after I explained why. She said a woman had just come into her store looking for the same thing,.. so maybe,. Lord willing,. she might get something going for us here!

But I still want to hear from others that have found some locally please!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  4. BayouPoules

Anyone? [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Nobody in my area (that I've seen) carries it!! Never really asked since I know it'll be way too expensive!!

6. BayouPoules

Thanks,..
    well,..it looks like I may be mixing my own!

7. Bebop

Bebop Chillin' With My Peeps

Where can I find organic grains to mix my own feed?

8. sexlink

sexlink Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Pops hardware in maurepas has organic feed. You can call them at 225-698-2216.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by