Organic Feed Options for Baby Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tmfineg, Jan 24, 2012.

1. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I feed my flock of 5 an organic grain mix. Are there other organic options for baby chicks due to hatch in 1 week? Can I grind feed in food processor and mix with yogurt?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The chicks need about 20% protein...I buy organic chick starter at the feed store for chicks.

I feed my seed/grain mix (see my BYC page if interested) to them after 8 weeks of age. Giving them scrambled eggs is one easy way to up the protein. That is nature's chick food!

You can mix some chick starter in to your mix even after 8 weeks (actually what is really recommended is that the chick starter be used even beyond that or switch to grower, LOL). I do that if I notice that they are craving protein or just give them more smashed up peanuts than usual when they are teenagers.

The middle period between chickhood and adulthood...usually 17% protein is recommended or thereabouts.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. SantanaliBrahmas

SantanaliBrahmas New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    I was at Whole Foods market the other day...Not sure if you have those wherever you live (I'm in AZ), but they were selling certified organic chick starter crumbles.

4. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Thanks so much! I will check out both ideas. Cant wait for chicks to hatch...5 days till lock down!!

5. Wings24

Wings24 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    I do have a Whole Foods close, thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by