Organic feed recommendations?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Peeperscreepers, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Peeperscreepers

Peeperscreepers Songster

Apr 3, 2018
    Peidmont-ish NC, us
    Hello,
    I'm new to having chickens. I just got chicks a little over a week ago. I've heard some things about organic feed and feed in general so now I'm not sure which one is best. I read something about some feeds having the wrong protein in them. Is there a good organic feed for chicks. Or things I should make sure it has? Also I've been reading about these vitamin deficiencys on here. Is there any food or treats I can give them to prevent this?

southdeb likes this.
  2. sngliot

sngliot In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2018
    Great question, I’m wondering the same thing. *following

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Whether you get organic feed or not is up to you. I try and eat organic as much as possible and try to follow organic standards when gardening, so I want my eggs organic as well. To me the "best" feeds are what I can get fresher, and sourced locally, if possible.

I would have to think that most commercial chicken feeds are properly formulated for the intended target, otherwise people wouldn't continue to buy it.

As far as vitamin deficiency, that shouldn't be an issue as long as the chicks are eating their feed and you aren't diluting the nutrients in the feed by offering too many treats.

4. southdeb

southdeb Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Hi!

I'm new with chickens too and I have the same question as you... I went to a local store where a vet recommended me a "pellet" due to it's nutritional components, but apparently my chickens don't like it!

I'll buy some corn and maybe if I mix it with the pellet they eat it? :confused:

In other posts I read that some people feed their chickens with yoghurt and oats :lau that's crazy! I want to try this, but I'm not sure how to mix it.. just the way I would eat it?

Hope you understand my english! :fl

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Don't mix corn (or other treats like yogurt and oats) with the pellets, the chickens will just push aside the pellets and eat corn only. Chickens usually don't like pellets very much, but if that is the only feed you give they will start to eat it. You can try soaking the pellets until they're soft and wet like oatmeal, they might like it better that way.

southdeb likes this.
  6. southdeb

southdeb Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Thanks for the advice! I'll try soaking it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: