Organic feed recommendations?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by StovallChick, Feb 1, 2015.

1. StovallChick

StovallChick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Hi! We're new to chickens and have 6 baby chicks that are 3 weeks old. We've been feeding them manna pro organic chick starter from TSC, but those little 5 pound bags are adding up fast. Does anyone have any good organic feed they reccomend that's more cost effective? Locally would be preferred (we're south of Ft Worth Tx) but we can order online if need be. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Remember that depending on the breeds you have, feed conversion will be two to three pounds of feed per pound body weight. Six birds reaching six pounds each is a minimum of ninety pounds of feed! Never mind spillage, etc. Get big bags of whatever! Try googling organic chicken feed in your area, or call all the feed stores, and check here on the Texas thread. You want FRESH feed, not something that sat in a warehouse somewhere. Feeding all organic is tricky; to be consistant, it includes every snack/ treat/ table scrap that they get. And welcome! Mary

3. StovallChick

Jan 28, 2015
    Thanks Mary, will do! Yes ours will be big, we have 3 buff Orps and 3 RIReds. We're thinking to add a couple barred rocks too lol. We've only had chicks for 3 weeks and we're addicted!! lol Luckily we eat all organic veggies so our scraps for them should be easy. So far I tried to give them some celery but they weren't interested lol I think it was too early for them :)

4. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    TSC just started carrying organic chick starter/grower for $24.99 for a 50lb bag.

5. StovallChick

Jan 28, 2015
    Oh wow!! Which TSC did you visit? Or do you order online? I may have to ask ours if they can order it, I've only seen the tiny 5 pound bags [​IMG]

6. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014

Omg im gonna start getting that I couldn't find organic feed anywhere in a reasonable sized bag but now I can yaayyyy

7. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    It's only available through April so stock up.

[​IMG]

8. StovallChick

Jan 28, 2015
    Oh wow!! Ill have to ask mine if they can order some!! Thanks!

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    What brand is this organic feed? I see they have Organic Pride (Purina) on the TSC website in select stores. Haven't seen it in PA yet, but it may make it here like Nutrena regular feed finally did. I mentioned that to the clerk & he laughed. They carry Nature's Best in my store for $18.99/10lbs. I have no idea who would buy that when many feed stores around here carry Nature's Best for $35/50 lbs.

10. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by