Organic Feed Retailer in S. Florida

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RubysMomFP, Mar 24, 2010.

1. RubysMomFP

RubysMomFP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Hi There-

I'm starting to research retailers who sell organic chicken feed in S. Florida. So far I haven't had any luck. I found a retailer in Archer & Gainesville, but they are 3 1/2 hours from me. I can't see making a 7 hr. round trip for chicken feed. Buying online and paying for shipping is out of the question- the prices are outrageous!

Does anybody know of a retailer (or co-op) who sells the organic stuff? I'm willing to travel as far up as Deland/Daytona, as far south as Miami and anywhere inbetween.

Thanks!
    ~Lauren

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    sorry i don't, been looking my self for one close to me,and you said that you found one in Gainesville? do you mind telling me where?

3. RubysMomFP

Mar 24, 2010
    There are two up in that area and they both carry feed from www.countrysidenatural.com.

Earth Pets in Gainesville $35 for starter, $35 for developer and $31 for layer. Call 352-377-1100

Then there is www.chickenhousesplus.com, located in Archer. For the same Countryside Natural Feed, it's $29.99 for 25 lbs and $39.99 for 50 lbs. Doesn't matter if it's starter, developer or layer- they charge the same price.

So pricewise- you're better off going to Earth Pets.

Good luck!
    ~Lauren

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Lauren did you see the lady listed on the Countryside Natural site for Sarasota/Bradenton?

Sarasota/Brandenton Melissa Stusek
    941-313-9895
    email: [email protected]

I'd probably call the mill as well to check if there is anyone else who is reselling down to your area that hasn't yet been put on their site.

Glad to know we have an organic feed dealer in the Gainesville area now. Several years ago when I checked I couldn't find anyone in the entire state.

.....Alan.

5. RubysMomFP

Mar 24, 2010
    Thanks, Alan. I'll give Melissa a call. I did call Countryside Naturals yesterday and the guy I spoke with thought that all the retailers & co-ops were up in N. Central & N. Florida. Guess Melissa slipped his mind.

If organic turns out not to be an option for me, what would you recommend in the way of "natural" feeds. I'm just starting out and I don't want to overwhelm myself w/ mixing my own feed. I know that my local feed store will order non-medicated chick starter from Moorman's for me.

Who makes soy-free feed?

Thanks!
    Lauren

6. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    I realize this is an old thread but I am now in the same boat...wanting organic feed. I make my own for now, but human consumption grade grains and peas are expensive. I am wondering if any of you have found an organic source in Florida.

7. Shoshannah1993

Shoshannah1993 New Egg

Apr 15, 2013
    Reopening the same thread - I'm in S. Florida and all I've found is Scoobies which charges an insane amount of money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by