1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Organic feed vs traditional

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lhowemt, Dec 14, 2008.

1. lhowemt

lhowemt Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Montana
    I plan to buy organic feed only when I get my babies this spring. A friend found a place that sells it, and we'll probably go in on it together. Does anyone buy organic, and can they tell me the price difference? Is it double, or more? One place on-line seems really expensive, but I'm still researching, never actually bought any!

2. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's about double here. We have a local manufacturer of organic feeds (Green Mountain) vs. Blue Seal or whatever Tractor Supply sells.

Green Mountain only distributes in the northeast, but maybe you have something similar.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I think it really depends. Here I can get it for about $2 more per 80 lb. bag.

4. Eggzactly

Eggzactly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    marietta
    I kinda of given up on it.I had a feed store about and hour away that use to carry it and had it shipped with their regular orders from blueseal,but they stop carry it cause it got to expensive.

5. Jonny-Chicken

Jonny-Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    Lowbanks, Ontario
    Anybody know of a source in Southern Ontario? Can't find...

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's usually right around 150% the cost of traditional in my region.

7. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

I buy organic feed and scratch straight from the mill (Modesto Milling Co.). I pay $24.00 for a 50 lb. bag. I know they ship feed also but I'm not sure of the cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by