Organic feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by agress1, Jan 21, 2010.

1. agress1

agress1 New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi all, I'm new to this board. Have had chickens for years without really knowing much at all about them. We have a coop with roosts my husband built and nesting boxes also built by him. I have looked and can't seem to find any premade organic feed or a recipe to make my own. I'd like to know that when I sell the eggs they are not only free range but also fed organic feed. I bought several chickens many years ago, only two sweet little hens left who lay one egg every other day, we keep a light in their coop for the winter. So, any advice on organic food or any general advise would be appreciated. Once these two old ladies are passed on, I'd like to start with a whole new flock. Thanks so much! Anne:)

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

What state are you in?

I have been working on an organic feed list. There are a couple links to recipes posted there, as well as a long list of places to get ready made feed. If you haven't already, maybe check the list and see if there is any thing near by you on it. I am always adding to it, too.

Where to find organic chicken feed list

3. GardeNerd

I am sorry, I forgot to mention...

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BackyardChickens.com!

4. agress1

agress1 New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi Garden Nerd! Thanks for your quick response! I live in the mountains SW of Denver CO at 8600 ft. elevation. I live within walking distance to a feed store but they look at me like I'm asking for a miracle from God when I inquire about organic feed for chickens! I would really prefer to make my own, just lack the knowledge of what all they must have. I used to raise Basenji dogs and made all the food they ate, had a good book on dog nutrition, not sure if such a book is available for chickens. My current family consists of one husband, two horses, a rescue DobieXRottie, just the kind of dog all the wrong people want, an old Basenji grump, she is our child, 2 very old hens, they are very tame and come running when I cluck to them. Oh, and one giant Koi, got him when he was about an inch now he's well over a foot in a 125 gallon tank, he too is very friendly and eats out of my hand. I work as a professional petsitter, The Critter Sitter is my businsee name, doing this since 92. So, there you have it, all about me and my critters, what about you? If you know of any good recipies or any good books, guess I could go to Amazon for that. I'm not worried about these two old hens, but when I get a new flock I want to start them out right. Gosh, I am new to this, I just now saw your link to organic feed, THANK YOU!!! OH, one last question, someone told me that horse manure was really good for chickens, I have no idea, any truth to that? Thanks so much! Anne

5. GardeNerd

6. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    About the horse manure-the chickens scratch through it to find various bugs and fly larvae. I have never seen them actually eat the horse manure. They really help keep the fly population down! By the way, I live on the western slope of CO. Lynn

7. agress1

agress1 New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi Owen's Mom!

Thanks for your response. I do remember she said something a certain nutriant was in the manure it's self. However I don't know how much she knows about chickens, that may have been something she heard from someone who heard it from someone and so it get lost in translation. I would sure be interested in knowing if anyone else has ever heard of this. Maybe I should post the question.

Thanks!

Anne

8. GardeNerd

Quote:Yeah, that would be a good idea! I am really curious now, too, if there is more to it.

9. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I don't know about the manure thing, never heard that before. As far as organic feed, the only place I know of that sells it in CO is in Denver and they charge $40 a bag. There may be other places elsewhere that have it, that is just the only one I know of off-hand. Obviously, there are places online you can order as well for a little more than half that, but it is about the same once you pay shipping. You could also just mix your own.

Good luck and [​IMG]

10. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] agress1!

i have been doing a lot of personal research on poultry nutrition and have posted the most helpful articles and sites on my BYC page (near the bottom). the ones from the Manitoba Agriculture, Food, and Rural Initiatives are great. that site is extremely informational. it will really get you started on the nutrition side of things, but this page will be most helpful with figuring out how to mix the feed to get the proper protein levels (you're looking for the Pearson's Square and Kim's Rectangle).

good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by