Organic feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bryceeast, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Bryceeast

Bryceeast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    So i am short on money and i need to get my girls layer mash is there a recipe anyone can give me for making layer mash myself from using bird seeds and around the house ingredients?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can look at my recipe for ideas- see my byc page!

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    It is my experience home made feed is as expensive as commercial.. Unless you buy in bulk, which if you have no money is not an option..

Happy to help you out... What grains, meats, food stuff can you get for free or cheap??

Another thing to consider some things non organic are "not so bad" Like Oats, wheat or alfalfa... Other things like corn and soybeans are sprayed and genetically modified..
    So to save a buck you may choose to use some of the "less molested" non organic grains.
    ON

4. Bryceeast

Bryceeast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    The things i can get for cheap is bird seed rolled oats chicken scratch and flax seed

5. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    I can't speak for the things like the protein level and other nutrients (out of my league!) but here's another thread about economical feeding. Can you supplement with anything green? I don't know where you are at but grass clippings, cabbage, kale, collard greens (my chickens favorite!), dandelions, etc. are great foods.

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Your aim is for at least 16% protein.

What is in the bird seed? Is it mostly cracked corn or Millet? Both are low protein, same with scratch. Rolled oats is around 14 or 15%? Flax is around 34%

I think you are close! Maybe one more high protein ingredient, some peas, fish meal or raise some bugs to feed them! If not the fish meal or bugs then at least some BOSS for the Methionine.

If this is just temporary you can be more lax with the details..[​IMG]

ON

7. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Depends on how short on cash you are and how long you will be short on cash. If you're trying to make your own organic feed, bird seed wont cut it. If it were me, I would purchase the cheapest non-organic layer pellets. Then, I would supplement with healthy treats. You could sustain that cheap approach indefinitely because their primary ration is still a commercial ration.

If you are set on making your own feed, don't use more than 10-15% flax. For that matter, I probably would limit everything to that percent. You will also need some calcium which can be crushed egg shells, oyster shells or limestone offered free choice. I think your biggest challenge will be achieving the right level of quality protein while maintaing the right levels of vitamins and minerals. The best way to ensure that is variety. Meat, fish, nuts, and nut-like seeds (sunflower, safflower, flax,etc.) should be your sources of protein. Corn, wheat or oats can be your filler. Fresh veggies and othr greens should be your treats. The more diversity, the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by