Organic Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bheppner, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bheppner

bheppner New Egg

Jan 25, 2013
    Is it worth the extra cost to feed organic? No opinion either way. I am thinking that free range chickens get all the organic they want in a day and the grain is a small supplement. I am new to chickens so share your wisdom.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Are you planning on selling the eggs or just eating them yourself?

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Genetically modified organisms are in all feeds unless they are labeled organic. Nearly all GM crops are described as "pesticide plants". That means they tolerate doses of weed killer like Roundup, or produce a pesticide called Bt-toxin. In both cases, the added toxin (an herbicide or pesticide) is found in the corn or soybeans we consume as well as animals. The producers of GMO crops will tell you their studies and feed trials show no side effects. Short term they don't. Long term studies show entirely another though when non-industry research is done. Cancer is rampant along with damage to placental, embryonic, and umbilical cord cells due to Roundup and toxins. In the study performed, one reason is that the chemicals proved to stabilize glyphosate (an ingredient in Roundup) and allow its penetration into cells.

Do people wonder where all these seemingly genetic problems originate? I can not prove or have the credible research on hand to prove GMO are the culprit, but it most certainly won't assist the problems. I won't eat or buy GMO food. I certainly won't feed it to my birds. If I have to pay $25 a sack for good quality organic feed, it is money well spent. If it gets too expensive thanks to oppressive governance, I'll just have to grow and make my own. The feed companies know this and they have felt the pressure otherwise they wouldn't be producing organic lines of feed. I say keep the demand on them.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Consider this farmer who fed GMO corn to his swine and they became sterile:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by