organic feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jstlitlome, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Hi all!

I've found an organic farm close to my area and they sell "organic" feed for layers. I'm new to this, and I like the idea, but want to be sure that they are getting the best diet they can get. They are currently on nutrena all flock with free choice calcium because of this crazy idea that I had that my rooster shouldnt get the calcium. I'm going to switch to a layer feed next time anyway. I'm down to less than a week on my feed, so I'll have to get some soon.

The ingredients are:

The price with Aragonite (calcium) is $27.88/50#. It has cracked corn, roasted soybeans, milo, wheat, Fertrell Poultry Nutribalancer (probiotics, vitamins and minerals), all organic grains.

(here is the lowdown on the Nutribalancer: http://www.fertrell.com/analysis_tags/Poultry_tag_with_meth14.pdf )

Does this sound good? Anything that needs to be added? Omitted? why?

2. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Anyone?

3. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    What you need to pay attention to are the ratios - percentage of protein, calcium, etc. - rather than the ingredients. I think these ratios are fairly standard (give or take a %), except for stuff that's geared towards unnatural production (like extra eggs).

I am in the process of switching to soy-free organic layer feed, which has same ratios as Purina brand feeds available in my area.

4. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank you so much! I've seen a lot of people switching to soy free. I don't think that I have that option in my area. I've been looking around. I found another organic supplier yesterday, but the ingredients are essentially the same. [​IMG]

5. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Make sure you ask at your supply stores - they keep a lot of stuff in the warehouse, and there's nothing in the retail store to indicate they have it. Getting soy-free was just a happy surprise for me - I just asked for organic layer, since I didn't think there was soy-free available in my area (according to the manufacturer's websites). Also like anything, if enough people ask for an item that isn't stocked, sellers may be inclined to stock it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by