1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Organic Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ropenwendy, Mar 8, 2014.

1. ropenwendy

ropenwendy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    Gypsum KS
    Can anyone please tell me where is a good place to order good organic feed for a reasonable price. I am switching my operation this year to Heritage Breeds and I want to be sure to use organic feed. Thank you!

2. Won't you want a local source? Shipping costs get expensive real fast.

Peck & Scratch makes great feed. They are in Washington state.

1 person likes this.
  3. ropenwendy

Jun 28, 2013
    Gypsum KS

4. ropenwendy

Jun 28, 2013
    Gypsum KS
    I would like to try to stay local but I am having trouble finding some.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Quote:Where is local for you? Maybe others on BackyardChickens are near you and could offer suggestions. Or you could pool resources and place a group order (order a pallet of feed) to save on shipping costs. ps, update your profile to list at least your state if not also your town (or one nearby). I find a lot of confusion and misunderstandings gets created on these forums simply because of different climates. Ie, people who live in the desert don't have to deal with mold as much as those in more marine climates. And welcome to BYC! :)

6. ropenwendy

Jun 28, 2013
    Gypsum KS
    Local for me is Central KS. Although I have been a member for a while I haven't been on Here a lot. A lot of things have changed so I am going to "Reintroduce" myself on the new members and update my profile. Thank you!

7. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Welcome...back! Love this place, so much good info is shared here.

As for organic feed, you might look to see if Azure Standard ships to your locale. They are a natural foods coop that also carry some animal feeds, including organic chicken feeds. They're based in Oregon, but I do know they have several drop points in Kansas. Might be worth a check out. Delivery is once a month for most locations and you have to meet at a specific place at a specific time. Great prices and selection. No tax and no shipping fees, unless you're far off their route.

www.azurestandard.com

https://www.azurestandard.com/drops/schedule

8. mamabear72

mamabear72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    AzureStandard is where we plan on starting to order Organic non GMO feed from.
    Here's a link to their feed page https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/search?q=feed&submit=
    We're brand new chick owners so I have absolutely no advice as to choosing feed but I know I too want to go organic [​IMG]

9. ropenwendy

Jun 28, 2013
    Gypsum KS
    Thank you! I'll check them out!

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I found a wonderful place for organic feed and they ship any where. This feed is wonderful! It has some really great all organic ingredients and it has probotics in the food.its usda certified all organic. Its chocked full of vitamins as well. Some of the ingredients include. Organic field peas organic wheat organic oats organic corn organic bareley fish meal sea kelp organic alfalfa organic flaxseed vitamins a, d3, b12, folic acid, iron, zinc, and more! Check out all the ingredients at Countryside Organics. All their feed is soy free and non GMO. This food has made a positive difference in my flock! Hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by