Organic feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lollypop, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Lollypop

Lollypop Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013
    I read lots on here about what to feed quail at what age. There's lots on how much protein and such also. My question is how if any way can you feed quail totally organic? If you can't then what's the closest thing to organic we can feed?

I don't ask this because I am some organic freak I ask for info sake. I do like raising my food because I know what's in it but it's noty religion.

I can't wait to see what you have.

Lollypop

2. CrazyQuailLady

CrazyQuailLady Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    I hear quails like duckweed and that it is apparently easy to grow (just leave it in some water and forget about it for several days and when you return it should have grown heaps). It's supposed to be high in protein too.

3. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Yes you could but would take some effort to produce the food up to the 25 % protein level, if you can grow Soya Beans, Quinoa with meal worms and boiled mashed eggs you would be off to a good start. There might be a commercial organic feed available where you are?. I certainly supplement Meat Bird feed I give them with weeds and vegetable scraps from my Organic garden and Egg shells from both the quail and Chicken eggs we eat which are organic.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. Lollypop

May 31, 2013
    Hey thanks guys.
    We feed our hogs,chickens,turkeys and ducks fruits and vegetables from a local fruit stand. Very doin well plant food exblusively for these animals to become self sustainable on my brothers 5 acres and at my residence in metro Mobile, Al. The quails, about 12-15, will be at my place till I get it all figure out then Ill scale it up on the 5 acres.

So the less we have to visit the feed store the better I like it.

6. dc3085

7. Lollypop

May 31, 2013
    Well I'm no scientist or animal nutritionist for sure. I'm a guy raising animals for his family to eat and don't want hormones, GMO, and other such things in them when I slaughter them. As far as quail I'm just getting started with quail and know very little about them at all but my thinking is what would they eat in the wild? I want to feed them that. Most of the birds at my house won't be eSting anything longer than 10 weeks.
    As far as my hogs left to their own devices in the wild they root around and eat roots and vegetation so all I'm doing is pouting that same thing in the pen with them.

I do wonder though how we as a people got to the point that we think we NEED a scientist to teach us to do every thing we do. People raised animals and grew vegetables for many years before scientist got so high and mighty.

We're raising animals for God sake not building rockets. The animal will feed its own self just fine if we'll leave it alone.

8. dc3085

9. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013

10. dc3085

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by