Organic Feeding....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aeg1001, May 14, 2009.

1. aeg1001

aeg1001 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    My DH and i are really trying to do everything Organic, but we are not sure which feed to get. He doesn't wan't to get anything with a lot of growth hormones, but they need more than cracked corn. Any suggestions????[​IMG]

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

There are lots of organic feeds available. Some folks order online and have it shipped, but the shipping is a lot usually. Other people purchase or special order at local feed stores to avoid extra shipping costs. I kept asking around until I found a few places.

Generally organic feed, not counting shipping, is about the double the cost of conventional feed. I pay $25 for 50lbs at a feed store about 20 minutes away.

There are also recipes listed in a few other threads for making your own organic feeds.

DarkWolf posted some links here to help:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=177580

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. aeg1001

aeg1001 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    Thanks so much!! we live in a small community and surprisingly the "organic trend" is not popular around here so a lot of local feed stores don't even bother with it. Everyone want to buy organic, but not raise them. i am def going to try to make my own for awhile bc it is so expensive. Once again thanks so much!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by