Organic Feeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dreammaker8482, Apr 24, 2008.

1. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    I am curious to see if anyone feeds organic chicken feed to their chickens. I know I love organic foods myself and I feed it to my dogs and cat, and they do really on it. Any advice would be great![​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I do! If I'm going to be eating the eggs and chicken, I don't want anything else. It is more expensive but I feel my long term health and that of my family is worth it.

3. CreamPuff

CreamPuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Springfield, Oregon
    I agree, I only have 4 hens, I don't worry about the cost, I try to eat all organic when I can find it, so why not eat organic eggs?

4. momnwife

momnwife New Egg

Jan 29, 2008
    Texas
    Where do you purchase your organic feed? I haven't searched too much yet but need to find a reliable source. Just wondering where other people buy their organic food.

Thanks!
    Angie
    and my 12 girls

5. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    When I just had a few laying hens, I fed Blue Seal Organic Life layer feed. If you have a local feed store that is a Blue Seal dealer they might be able to special order it for you--that's what my feed store did.

We always eat organically grown produce when it is in season/available and use a lot of natural products, so I felt that it was worth it to do the same for my laying hens. Now that I have several dozen chickens, bottom line is I just cannot afford it--a regular bag of layer feed costs me $12, organic over $20. So now I just feed the non-organic. But if I had only a few hens or had the means to afford it, I would definitely still feed the organic.

6. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    we feed our 4 girls organic, too (i order it through my work, so with my discount, it costs me the same as if i were paying regular price for non-organic!). as with the other posters, we eat organic whenever possible, too - and want the best for the peeps AND their eggs!

7. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I used layena but was searching for organic. And my feed store just started carrying it so now they get organic.

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    We feed a couple hundred chickens on organic feed. Bulk price makes it affordable.

9. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    I talked to my feed mill guy today (he is wonderful [​IMG]) and he is going to start special ordering it for me since I asked him really, really nicely. That made my weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by