Organic frustrations

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Want Less, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Want Less

Want Less Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    I'm close to throwing my hands up in the air and nixing the whole organic chicken feed idea that, when we bought our chicks many months ago, we assumed we'd be able to acquire. I've tried finding local (ie driving distance to keep from paying shipping) sources of organic whole grains and such to mix our own feed to no avail... a big eye opening surprise actually.

So I'm giving it a shot... anyone have any sources for ordering organic feed that don't cost you an arm and a leg to ship? We are in eastern NC. Everything I've found so far costs just as much in shipping as it does in product.

So frustrating! Any other ideas and suggestions appreciated!

2. le neige homme

le neige homme Chirping

Jul 15, 2010
    Have you got a local bakery that orders organic grains? Maybe you could piggyback onto their order.

3. Organics North

Organics North Songster

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Awe, Want less...
    I know you have put effort into this..[​IMG]

Hopefully, some one will know of a regional source for you. I am hope we can find you a quality pre made organic feed at a decent price, that meets your needs. Do you have anything specific you are against in a feed, such as soy? or if it is organic thats all that matters.......?

If you really want to make your own whole grain feed maybe you can find some of the grains in the non organic form. Things like wheat, oats, black oil sunflower seed and flax and alfalfa pellets are pretty "safe" they are not GMO's yet and the crops are not sprayed heavily with herbicides and pesticides. So if no one comes up with a regional source for you.. Lets see what we can "engineer" with some of the "safer" non organic grains if you can get them.

Be well
    ON

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  4. dela1991

dela1991 Songster

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I checked on the Countryside Naturals website and they have a few resellers in North Carolina. I don't know if any of them are close to you or not. Check it out. I have used Countryside Naturals since I got my chicks (except for one bag of Natures Best Organics) and they really like it. They are 14 weeks old now and have been very healthy. I wish there were resellers in Delaware as I pay $16 for shipping on each 50lb bag.

Good luck,

Terri

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    See if you could maybe order in bulk and split an order with someone nearby.

How much land do you have? Would it be feasible to grow at least some of your feed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: