Organic frustrations.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cluckn Crazy, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I am trying to find an organic chicken feed that doesn't rely on soy/corn, and would prefer a crumble or pellet. I've been calling around my area and they all sell the same brand. Many of the places I've called either laugh at the "organic" request or don't even sell it. The last call I made, the lady said "it's not radioactive or anything!" I want to avoid pesticides and GMO crops, is that so difficult to understand? Is anyone else having issues trying to do the right thing?

2. sosanista

sosanista Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Nicasio
    Quote:Where I live there is not problem finding organic feed but I do understand the frustration with the cynicism. It takes people like you, at the grassroots level to get those stores to carry what you want. They can get it if they try. Perhaps you can write the store that you prefer to buy from a letter, with a good argument for organic and get them to carry it. Let them know you will spend your money only at a place that carries what you want. Do know that you will pay at least 2x as much for it. I'm having a bit of a moral connundrum myself. I've been feeding organic for some time but am in a bit of a financial crunch and thinking of switching to conventional, at least for a time. Though I'm confident my birds will be fine, they mostly graze on pasture, the thought of buying conventional bugs me because I know spending those dollars toward organic is a vote for a better way.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Part of the reason for having the chickens was to do right by the health of my kids...and the planet. I'm sure chickens would be fine with most of the commercial feeds available, but its for my peace of mind. I'm just surprised at the lack of choices out there.

4. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
  5. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Thank you for the link... I was printing off recipes as you posted! Seems to be the best option for those who are concerned. I love this website. [​IMG]

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:They live just on the other side of the mountain from us [​IMG] About an hour and a half drive.

7. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  8. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    You might try looking at sites like Craigslist, I'm not sure how things are in your area but here (in Colorado) we have a number of coops and people who mill their own soy-free organic feed and sell it in bulk.

I definitely understand your frustration - I live in a notoriously crunchy county and even here, I've received more than a few eye-rolls when I've asked for organic. I guess feed store people are the same wherever you go. [​IMG] When I purchased my chicks as babies, I got tag-teamed by an old farmer and the poultry lady in the feed store and ended up walking out with a bag of Purina medicated feed. Which of course the chicks refused to eat, once they got a taste of the organic stuff!

9. SeattleChickenHead

SeattleChickenHead Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    I dont know what shipping would cost, but here in WA state is a company called SCRATCH N PECK, they are in Olympia, WA. They sell localy grown and milled, organic, gmo free, whole grain feed. They have with corn n soy, without soy, and without corn AND soy! (25$ 50lbs.) There website also says they give bulk discounts...I know its far, but it IS an option....

Yeah, I feel youre frustration with the ummmm, "less informed" people....I heard the nearest feed store (mostly conventional food) got some scratch n peck so i went to get some and congratulate them on progress with my 25$....the manager said.."I have the soy free, but I didnt order any corn AND soy free! (called naturally free) "I didnt think anybody would want THAT" in sort of an insulting tone...also she had taken 10# from each 50# to make a 40# and a 10#...her reasoning was it wouldnt sound as expensive at 21$ for 40# (weird). She said she would order what i want AND give me the real price not a dollar or two more so i gave her my #, that was 10 days ago, the mill is an hour away...Im not sure she even cares about my one bag of goodness when she goes thru truckloads of layena and other GMO, bt, round-up ready corn...... next time ill probably go to SEATTLE FARM CO_OP....They dont sell any GMOs and almost all organic, unfortunately its twice as far than the other store, but worth it to not have to inhale monsanto's devil dust and get funny looks while they try to squeeze an extra dollar out of a 50# feed bag. GOOD LUCK!

My next step is a reverse osmosis machine to remove the deadly fluoride from my egg makers!

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just want to clarify- you do know that "organic" means that it won't be GMO, at least in the USA?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by