Organic gardeners, your secrets ??? Pics of small garden layouts??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by werblessd1s, Sep 3, 2008.

1. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    We started with an extremely small organic garden this year. The only thing we managed to get was some maters. [​IMG] Need some organic soil tips and would love to get some small garden layout tips. Pics would be great.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

YOu might want to step over to TheEasyGarden.com, a sister site of BYC! Lots of folks there with pics and info on organic gardening, as well as some cute layouts and garden plans. Should be a link at the bottom of your page!

3. werblessd1s

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    Thanks Beekissed [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  4. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    We had a lovely organic garden for many years....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Build really good soil, and plants will grow easily and well and will laugh at diseases and pest damage [​IMG]

I would suggest you have your soil tested by a lab (not one of the happy little color-changing kits you buy) -- at least get pH and the major nutrients done. Then amend the soil as needed, incorporating just about as much suitable organic matter as possible ('suitable' meaning 'chosen in ways that will correct, not exacerbate, any pH or nutrient issues the test shows). This time of year you needn't worry about adding composted organics, fresh stuff will be fine to add as soon as your harvest is done. Let it sit there and break down all winter, then in early spring dig (or till, if you really gotta) it into the soil, wait another coupla weeks, and plant. Optional but recommended: get a second soil test done next spring, see how things stand and what else you might wanna adjust.

Really it is all about the SOIL. Plants growing well will outgrow nearly any disease or pest.

Good luck,

Pat

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Buy the book "Carrots love Tomatoes"...it's absolutely amazing. I planted my garden by it this year, and it's doing wonderful. I also have horses, so I use my straw/manure mix as fertilizer in the spring. This book has lots of info regarding "companion planting". I used lots of herbs in my garden to control pests...I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with aphids, tomato worms, or any other pest...NONE. I absolutely worship this book.

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I used lots of herbs in my garden to control pests...I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with aphids, tomato worms, or any other pest...NONE

Gotta say this is so true... we used a lot of herbs and marigolds and I never once say a veggie pest in our garden!​

8. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Get the book or google "Lasagna Gardening" and you will find the easiest garden method...made for lazy's like me who want a garden but do not want to spend half a day weeding and spraying.
    It's super-easy system, works well in most areas (i'm zone 5) and best of all, you will have great growing the first year you plant.
    Start now getting your beds lined out and the beginnings set up and then when it gets colder,collect all the bags of leafs you can a just pile on the leaves.
    ruth Stout also has a great no-work gardening book.

9. werblessd1s

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by