Grandmas Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BY Bob > May 6th, wow, time goes by fast. Here is how the gardens are doing.
Veggie:
Starts in the greenhouse to be planted, squash & onion
View attachment 2653271

green beans garlic & potato bed

View attachment 2653273
Cilantro, bunching onion, green romaine, garlic, oxheart carrots, white turnips, radish, kale
View attachment 2653282
kale, red cabbage, garlic, green cabbage, marigolds,
merida carrots, Roodnerf brussel sprouts

View attachment 2653283

still in the greenhouse- STUPICE & COSMONAUT VOLKOV Tomato bed blocked off so the dogs dont eat the dirt -

View attachment 2653287

Purple asparagus, garlic, fennel, Rubine
brussel sprout,

View attachment 2653293

And further down, more oxheart carrots, beets, salad mix lettuce, arugula, red romaine, garlic & garlic, blue berries

View attachment 2653297

Onion sprouts in the orangs planter to be moved to the squash bed, peas,

View attachment 2653303

And in the greenhouse, tomato starts, 2 different egg plant, Jalapenos, squash = pumpkin, butternut, spaghetti, yellow crookneck, 2 different zucchini, red sunflower starts, elder berry,

View attachment 2653306

View attachment 2653307

egg plant, Jalapeno will stay in the greenhouse
This is amazing. What a wonderful extensive garden you have.

I have never been able to grow cilantro. Is there some trick you have that makes it grow?

Currently only potatoes in my garden. Hopefully in one more week I can be out planting beans and other items. Tomatoes and peppers will be awhile longer.. too wet, windy, and cold still.

I dont know why I have a hard time wrapping my head around how to do potatoes right Hahahaha
I use my raised beds, dig a deep hole, add potato, cover with a few inches of soil...let grow about 6” above soil then add more dirt so only about 2” above soil. Keep repeating until I can’t mound anymore then leave alone...lots of water always as soon as buds form all the way until flowers all gone. Then I slack off watering to be less frequent. Once the plant dies back I might dig some fresh/new potatoes for a dinner, but otherwise, wait a couple weeks or more, dig up, let air dry in the barn for several days then put into storage bins with clean/dry straw. We don’t have a basement or a root cellar, so they get stored in the garage -easy access to the kitchen.

Everyone's gardens are so neat and tidy... and BEAUTIFUL! @GrandmaDeKorte , really nice pictures.

I planted cilantro next to my asparagus. It self seeds there now, and I was able to pick some about 5 weeks ago (!?). It was my first garden harvest. I have no idea why it started so early and has done very well, even with some frosts and freezes. But that's ok, I'll take it.

Last year's garden was the best ever, and I think a lot of it has to do with the chicken poop. I'm getting 5 chicks next month, so maybe my garden will be that much better this year!

I'd really like to build a chicken moat down one side. We'll see what happens...

😫 wish we could plant several things directly in our soil (it's actually really good for tubers), but we have a huge problem of June bettles and they will eat the roots off of anything 😭.

Actually I'm hoping that we reproduce our chicken flock bigger so that they might eat them all in the morning.

We're thinking of laying traps for the bettles in hopes that it might help, but since there is soo much land here that no one touches, they find places to reproduce easily *sigh *.

I've planted a few things in pots and they even get in there and the grubs will eat anything basically.

Wow, I am so sorry! that is quite an issue. I am going to have to look into that one.----
I dont know if any of this works?

>you can try encouraging June bug predators, such as birds, by setting up birdbaths in your garden. Birds love to eat the beetles and their presence may even discourage beetle populations. Alternatively, you can sprinkle diatomaceous earth (DE) around your yard or patio to keep June bugs away.
> make a DIY June bug trap to kill these pests using a bit of molasses. Simply add 1/2 cup each of molasses and hot water to a large jug.
Close and shake well, then bury the container neck-deep near any plant the bugs have been snacking on. Be sure to remove any dead beetles from the trap rack each morning and refill the trap as needed.
Well it might help to reduce the population, thanks. We live on 1.23 Acres of land, the only other solution we've heard of and hope to try out soon is to sprinkle a bit of lime and then use a tractor to flip the earth (apparently this kills of grubs and since it's just a sprinkle it doesn't change the pH on the soil much), but I am worried about the worms, we have a nice concentration of worms in the soil... So maybe the only answer might be to increase our chicken population, who knows...
Again thanks for searching for what might help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom