Organic green bonanza!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SeaChick, Nov 19, 2007.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi everyone, I am so happy... I just got back from doing some Thanksgiving shopping at the local Wild Oats (soon to be Whole Foods) natural-foods market. On a whim, I asked the produce lady if she had any wilted/past date organic veggies I could feed my chickens. She disappeared out back and came back with a whole big banana-box filled with organic spinach, kale, and dandelion greens, just a little bit wilted (not rotten). They'd just been about to throw it in the dumpster. Should last all week, and just in time, as the grass is starting to look pretty sad with the cold temps we've had lately.

Just wanted to share that and encourage you to ask around as well. I did ask at my "regular" supermarket but they only offered to SELL me the mark-down stuff, as they're "not allowed" to give away anything past date because of liability (how lame is that?) But at the natural-foods market you're more likely to talk to someone who cares about the environment, recylcling, and not wasting food.

I am thankful for people like that! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Stacey

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Good bargain.

My supermarket won't let me have any leftovers. [​IMG]

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i will try this next time i go into town to work. there are so many supermarkets, one has got to say yes. my neighbors give me their leftover veges from garden for slop and my family saves these gigantic non dairy creamer plastic containers that come with handles and hold about four pounds of feed at a time. sometimes freebies are the very best. [​IMG]

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    oh. also, if anyone has goats or other critters that like to eat branches, i find that poeople are only to happy to drop their leftovers after tree trimming in my yard. saves hauling to dump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by