Organic grown feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by panner123, Aug 23, 2008.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Someone that knows how I feel about organic grown animals, feed and food asked me to look at their little farm. (I believe organic is a great idea that is not a reality.) Anyway, I show up at their property, which is as pretty as a picture. They show me all around and tell me how great it is to have everything on the property organic. Being the gentleman I am, I bust out laughing at them. Then I tell them they wouldn't know organic if it slapped them in the face. First, the garden, flower beds and all the retaining walls are railroad ties. Second, all the fence post are pressure treated lumber. Third, the neighbors on both sides spray their fruit trees with chemicals. They stand a better chance of getting anything organic from a commerical outlet. They had no idea what chemicals are in railroad ties or pressure treated lumber. They have no knowledge of the chimicals used by the neighbors.
    Anyone of the three would disqualify
    the property as organic. But I would not make them believe that. NO SUCH THING AS TRUE ORGANIC TODAY.

2. Dennis1979

Dennis1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I agree, what Organic was supposed to be and what it is today, as defined by the USDA, is like the difference between night and day. Your friend obviously doesn't even understand the USDA version though.

Dennis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by