Organic isn't always the best

OSUman

GO BUCKS
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Central Illinois
I picked up some old hens from an organic farm and I was amazed at the condition of the birds, pictures say it best.

They are in my trailer in this picture.

Oh my goodness, poor babies. And here I'm all worried about my hens' backs looking bad because the rooster is making them bald!

Last edited:
In this situation, I wouldn't necessarily blame "organic," I'd blame the idiots that didn't take care of their birds properly. I'm sure those losers would treat those poor babies the same way regardless of organic status.

I hope you can get them all back to top health! Those poor babies, that makes me sad. :(

I got 200 total, and sold 110 of them.
In this situation, I wouldn't necessarily blame "organic," I'd blame the idiots that didn't take care of their birds properly. I'm sure those losers would treat those poor babies the same way regardless of organic status.

I hope you can get them all back to top health! Those poor babies, that makes me sad. :(
Im saying Organic isnt always what you think it is. This guy knew exactly how many days he needed to let the hens outside, and im pretty sure he barely meets it.

I will get a picture of the birds I have left in a month and they should look alot better though, this is just a really hard molt and bad feather pecking.... other then that they didnt have any mites or lice which some birds I got from the Amish a few years ago were covered with

They look as if they are coming off a molt and if organic means they were not getting enough calcium to regrow feathers quickly then it was in fact the feeding program.

I buy about 1000 hens a year from an organic farm and they are fat and sassy and I get top dollar for them but they feed fish meal as a supplement as they have found by thier own research that the hens do the best with fishmeal added to the diet.

This farm obviously was not getting the calcium and possibly vitamin D to the birds that they needed.

Back
Top Bottom