Organic Pride Animal Food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by erinangele, Oct 5, 2011.

1. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I have 12 week chicks who are currently on Purina Start and Grow Medicated. I sent DH to the feed store to buy the Start and Grow unmedicated and he came home with Organic Pride Animal Feed. Apparently they acted like they had never even heard of Start and Grown unmedicated (although i learned about it through the brochure i picked up at their Feed store!). Anyway, i can't find nutritional information on "Organic Pride Animal Food" anywhere. I did find that they specifically make a "Organic Pride Starter/Grower", not sure why the Feed store did not offer this, and poor DH does not know anything about chicken feed. Anyway, back to my question, is this OK to feed my 12 week old chicks or should i return it?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I personally would return it, and would assume it is for goats or cows or something else other than chickens, but I'm guessing.

3. erinangele

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you for your reply. It says it is for all livestock including chickens, but how could they get all the correct amounts of nutrition for each animal in one bag? I think i will return it.

4. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    hmm... that's the kind my feed store carries as well... think it's the only organic "layer food" they have. It says layer 16% protein... I'm curious as well if this a good brand or not. Anyone else use this?

5. ChickensAreSweet

Maybe the tag got ripped off the bag, which would have told you the information you needed to see that it was indeed layer pellets.

6. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I did a search for anyone else using Organic pride and only came up with 1 other saying it was good. But that's about it. I'm curious to know if it truly is a decent food. I think it was a pretty reasonable price as well... I want to say about $20 for a 50# bag... something like that.

Anyway, if someone could weigh in?

First 5 ingredients are ORGANIC:
    Corn
    Soybean Meal
    Flaxseed
    Barley
    Calcium Carbonate.

Says 16% protein.

I feed my chickens treats- fruit, leftovers, veggies, about 1 time a day... should I supplement them with oyster shell as well?

7. erinangele

Jul 2, 2011
    Mystery solved. I called the feed store and they informed me that all the Organic Pride foods come in the same bag, but what sets them apart is the tag attached to the bottom. So sure enough when i go check the bottom of the bag it says "Chick starter/grower". [​IMG] I will let you know what i think of it in a few weeks.

Here is the nutritional info on the starter/grower:

Crude Protein, min 20%
    Lysine, min .90% .54%
    Methionine, min 4.5%
    Crude Fat, min 8.5%
    Crude Fiber, max .90%
    Calcium, min .55%
    Calcium, max 1.10%
    Phosphorus, min .55%
    Salt, min .30%
    Salt, max .35%
    Sodium (Na) not more than .25%
    Ash, not more than 7.0%
    Selenium (Se) Not less than .30%
    Selenium not more than .35%

Top ingredients:

Organic Corn, Organic Soybean Meal, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Barley

8. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Yay!! So DH did alright then, eh? [​IMG] Good hubby.

9. MonsterClucker

MonsterClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2012
    Anderson, California
    Id like to hear more opinions on thic kind of feed. I just.bought a bag today and I'm wondering how people like it.

I want to ferment my feed too, can I ferment this kind of feed?

10. ChickensAreSweet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by