1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Organic question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hendrygg, Oct 16, 2011.

1. hendrygg

hendrygg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Monroe, Louisiana
    If I gave my chickens non-organic food would their poop be organic? If not then what if I added said poop to an already organic compost? Would the compost be organic? If not then would the vegetables grown in the soil be organic? If not then would the seeds from said vegetable be organic?
    How long until its officially organic again?

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    What you could do is look up the Organic rules/restrictions for your state (not sure if it's all the same across the board). Organic does allow for certain things, realizing that the whole world cannot be organic, something has to give somewhere. I'm thinking the poop would be okay, resulting in your vegetables being okay. Not sure about your state, but here you can claim organic without certification until you reach a $5,000.00 profit.

Good luck, and I hope this helps some. [​IMG]

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Is this for your own use and feeling good or are you marketing it?

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Technically, no, the veggies and seeds would not be organic. However, those are the rules (at least in my state) put forth to label and sell your food as organic. However, I believe anything grown in your yard without pesticides and other chemicals is pretty darn organic. The best bet is like someone else said - look up the laws for organic in your state.

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I would contact the Ag. Dept for your state and ask them. They would know the exact rules for your area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by