Organic scratch in Wisconsin?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KelBelle, Oct 28, 2010.

1. KelBelle

KelBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Does anyone know if anyone carries organic chicken scratch in Wisconsin? I can't seem to find any. I ordered a five pound bag initially from Arcata Pet, but want to get a larger bag now. The shipping on anything larger is simply outrageous.

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Where in WI are you? I live near Madison, the Mounds Pet Food Warehouses carry organic feed. GardeNerd started a thread a while ago on this forum titled 'Where to buy organic feed' and it has listings by state. It is in the Feeding and Watering section, you should be able to find it if you type organic feed in the search box. Now if you mean organic scratch not feed.....some of the suppliers listed may have that as well. [​IMG]

3. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    Yeah....I am looking for scratch. I have a source for organic feed, but not for scratch. We are in Sheboygan County and it seems like everyone around here makes it their life's goal to revolt against organics at all costs. LOL

4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Try Franks Organics in Jefferson..
    I drive down twice a year to buy from them..
    Or try Customer One in ?Wausau? They have distributors all over.

Good luck!

ON

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  5. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Call Country Visions Co op in Kiel. If they don't have what you are looking for they will have it brought over from one of their other stores. Ask for April.

6. mcnicolclan

mcnicolclan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry this is probably a stupid question but... What is the difference between feed and scratch?

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Scratch is typically whole or cracked grains, fed as a treat to give the chickens something to do. Scratch typically does not have the protein, or balance of nutrients that chickens need to be the most productive. Feed is a complete ration with everything the chicken needs for peak performance. There is no need to feed scratch other than to treat the chickens...[​IMG]

ON

8. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! I will try them. I get the feed from a farm in New Holstein so this would work out well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by