organic scratch & peck vs. purina

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LUVMY5HENS, Jun 14, 2011.

1. LUVMY5HENS

LUVMY5HENS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Have my girls on purina as supplement to free range, and fresh fruit and veggie scraps. I found out one of my local feed store carries an organic feed that's soy free and made locally. Any opinions on how much difference the organic makes, also as far as nutrition??? Thinking about changing them, but its kind of pricey so I thought I would do a litlle research first. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    The difference will be astounding. Like comparing a Mercedes to a Datsun B210 (Purina being the Datsun, that is).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm curious what soy and corn free feed actually has in it. I think around here, the layer ration they sell (which they mix themselves although maybe I could get pellets too) has both corn and soybean in it.

4. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The feed that I got does not have soy, but it does have organic corn. Here are the ingredients

19% Layer Ration:
    Roasted Milo, Whole Wheat, Roasted Oats, Alfalfa, Roasted Barley, Organic Corn, Oyster Shells, Whole Flax Seed, Black Oil Sun Flower Seed, White Millet, Fish Meal, Plant Products, Sea Kelp, Brewer's Yeast, Diatomaceous Earth, Pro-biotics, Vitamins, Minerals:

5. gale65

Quote:Thanks. I wonder what "plant products" is. Seems like that could be just about anything. There aren't any places to get organic or any specialty feed here so we'll have to go with Kent brand pellets or the layer mash the elevator/feed store mixes up.

6. barefootfarmers

barefootfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Go no soy and organic, we have to have it shipped for about as much as it costs, and we will pay. Do a test, put a bowl of each out and see what your babies like more. Ours wouldn't touch anything but the soy free!

7. gale65

Your chickens refused food? They eat dirt, bugs, etc. You'd think they'd eat any food you put in front of them. [​IMG]

8. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I do not recommend Layena. There were a bunch of us BYCers on a couple different threads all with soft shell egg problems. After much investigation, we discovered we all fed our girls the Layena. Du-mor, which is also made by Purina Mills, had a moderately higher calcium content, which was what I used to feed my girls before trying Layena. Now I avoid all Purina feeds.
    abejita, what is the brand you feed your chickens?

9. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    It is called H and H Old Fashion . I found it at a chicken coop tour that we had here in Dallas a couple months ago. I know they ship, but I was lucky to find it at a semi-local feed store.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  10. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    My dog likes it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by