1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Organic starter crumble - grit needed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Odii, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Odii

Odii Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Just got our chicks today. Horray.

They are on an organic chick crumble. Do they need grit as well, before thry go outside?

I had read no with mash or crumble bit want to make sure.

2. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    no...no grit is needed as everything they need is built into the crumble,they dont need any other foods until they go out.
    when they go outside,it can help if they having access to extra grit but some ground gives it naturaly anyway-assuming it isnt concrete slabs theyre based on.

3. Odii

Odii Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Excellent! And since you were so helpful. One folloeup question.

I started a mealeorm farm sseveral weeks ago, mind you i still need time before it is sustaining, but when can they start having mealeorm treats? When they go outside?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    By time birds are two weeks of age I make so they have grit available. The feed will have some coarse material in it that can use a little further milling by gizzard and when birds move outside where they have access to vegetative plant materials the gizzard really gets busy. In all likelihood birds will still be on crumble when they start to consume greens.

My chicks will consume mealworms at hatch. Typical insect fair for free-range chicks is smaller and easier to dismember than meal worms. A big reason for the little chases chicks do with bigger food items is to help with dismemberment.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by