Organic starter, grower, and layer feed in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nekomi, Feb 15, 2009.

1. nekomi

nekomi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Ohio
    Anyone know where to find organic feeds in NE Ohio? I'm in Medina near Akron. I'd like to feed non-medicated starter, grower, and layer ration as my hens grow... I'll be getting day-old chicks in the mail, in about 2 weeks (they are vaccinated against coccidia so I think I'm OK using non-medicated feed).

Thanks guys!

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    My supplier is in VA, and I have to buy in bulk to make the shipping costs "affordable".

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
  4. mdoerge

mdoerge Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Check Meyer Hatchery in Polk. I'm pretty sure I saw some there last summer. I live in Medina County (York Twp) and it takes me about 30 minutes or so to get there. Check out their website www.meyerhatchery.com

5. nekomi

nekomi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Ohio
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! [​IMG] Meyer Hatchery is just what I was looking for. They're only about 40 min from me, and I called them and they DO carry organic starter, grower, and layer ration. [​IMG]

Anyone have any suggestions on how many lbs. of starter to buy for 15 chicks? I can't imagine I'd go through a whole 50 lb. bag in 8 weeks... or am I seriously underestimating their appetite?! If possible I'd like to split the 50 lb. bag with a friend who is also starting 15 chicks.

6. mdoerge

mdoerge Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I can't remember how much I went through with my chicks, but I do remember that it was more than I thought I would need. The staff at Meyer is very knowledgeable - I just bought what they told me and it worked out great! Where are you in Medina?

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Nekomi, it depends a great deal on the breed. If your chicks are Leghorn-types, the rule of thumb is that 15 pounds will take one pullet to point-of-lay.

If the chicks are Cornish X - - Katy Bar the Door!!

How much they waste is also a BIG concern.

You are planning to switch their feed to a grower at 8 weeks? That isn't entirely necessary and they can stay on the starter even to point of lay so you don't really need to worry about the chicks going thru 50 pounds.

A 50 pound bag for 30 chicks to 8 weeks - is probably NOT going to work, no matter the breed.

Nutrient Requirements of Poultry

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by