Organic Starter, Medication, etc...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SamwiseGamgee, Jun 11, 2011.

1. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Hey Everyone! [​IMG]

I just got some bittys today and decided that I would start with a Organic Chick Starter...I used to work at a F&S and realized that the Organic Stuff is not Medicated! So I have some Tetrycycline Powder, but may need to get something different as that is more of a treatment than a preventative I suppose?? Or do I need to worry about it for now? I don't want to lose any chicks, it would kill the little girls to have one of their chickies die so soon (My lab got hold of the last chicks, wanted to play and they just weren't up for the task [​IMG] ) Should I use something to medicate them, or is there a suggestion for ways to maintain health?

Btw, the place that I got them from was this old farmer who has been raising chicks for years, he's a bit like the Sanford and Sons of Chicken raising, so there is the possibility of them needing to be medicated, maybe? Idk

One last thing, my Mother is a bit worried about Salmonella hearing about the recent bout with Chicks sent out from some of the larger hatcheries. Is this something that I should worry about with my chicks? Is there a way to test them to make sure that all is well, esp. when we begin to eat the eggs???

Thanks all!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First of all, don't use that antibiotic you got. Medicated feed is not antibiotics, it's amprolium, a thiamine blocker to help build immunity to the oocycts that cause coccidiosis. You don't need medicated feed. Just watch for signs of cocci and get some Corid (concentrated amprolium) to use in case of cocci (hunched up, ruffled feathers, lethargy, bloody poop).

And, try not to worry too much. Chicks need fresh water, fresh air, dry bedding, and good quality fresh feed appropriate for their age. They'll do fine. *and keep them away from the dog*

3. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed and also keep a close eye on their butts pasting up.
    Edited for Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    I feed all of mine organic feed. I have 21. The first flock I have 9 and they are 8wks and my 2nd flock I have 12 2 wks. They are all on organic feed and no deaths and they are all super healthy. I give water with vitamins and electrolytes mixed in for the first 6wks. They should be great. Just keep and eye on them.

5. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Has anyone used any soy-free/non-GMO feed? The stuff I've seen is priced WAY above the traditional feeds I use, but it does sound like pretty good stuff. Here's a Texas brand I've seen, but yet to use. Awhile back they were offering free samples, and someone here on BYC posted the link. I ordered the free sample, but never got it. (I think we overloaded their system to be honest!) Now they are charging $10.00 PLUS $10.70 shipping for a 10 pound sample! I could buy almost 100 pounds of DuMor or Nutrena feed for a few dollars more that that!!

http://www.handhsoyfreechickenfeed.com/default.html

BTW, I've never used medicated feed on my TSC-bought chicks. So far, so good, and they are almost 12-weeks old.

Mark

6. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    Quote:I haven't but I would like to. Mine contains soy as the main protein source:( I have thought of making my own but it would be way too expensive. And for 20 chickens I can't afford it.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    [​IMG]

You're doing just fine with your chicks. However, if your goal is to be organic, then you are violating that end goal more by feeding antibiotics than by just feeding them medicated feed.

Antibiotics should only be reserved for when your chicks are ill with a bacterial infection, and only then. Misuse of antibiotics actually encourages bacteria to get stronger and more resistant. In fact, the misuse of antibiotics in commercial livestock is kind of a major part of how the whole organic movement began (the other major part being horomone additives back in the day).

Medicated feed only contains a substance that slows down the growth of Coccidiosis (a microscopic parasite found in soil). This gives your chicks time to develop a natural (you could even say organic) immunity to the parasites. Usually, you only feed medicated feed for the first 5 weeks of life, then switch over to Developer/Grower feed. By the time your chicken lays, it's been months since you were using the medicated feed, and there is no trace of the Amprolium in the eggs.

After reading all the posts I've seen on the forum of people who tried to be 'organic' with the chick starter, and ended up watching all of their chicks die in a matter of hours from an uncontrolled outbreak of Cocci, I would never take the chance. Chickens are a big investment in time and money, why put it all on the line for no reason?

Also I feel it's akin to not taking your kid to the doctor for shots against horrible diseases like Polio and Measles. It's a bit unecessarily risky and cruel. BUT, I'm a tad overprotective of my chickies [​IMG].

8. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I use Countryside Organic starter feed - it's about $30 for 50 lbs, and I get it at a local mom and pop shop. It is non soy, non GMO. My chicks are almost 6 weeks and so far so good! Growing like weeds!

9. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks Everyone! They are doing very well, and I keep them very clean and change feed/water very regularly, I have two younger sisters that play with the chicks and that is one of the requirements for holding- taking care of them [​IMG] Things look good so far, starting construction on the coop this week [​IMG] AND I am going to run to the Feed and Seed to grab some Corrid tomorrow, just in case...I'll keep an eye on the little gals

Thanks again! You guys are super duper helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by