Organic Weed control

CDennis

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Idaho
We have free range chickens, need advice on organic weed control for our lawn. Our lawn is about 1 acre of grass. Any suggestion would be great. Thanks

Yea,

Your birds should handle it.
big_smile.png

Like what ddawn said vinegar for spot weed control. Corn gluten meal make a pretty good pre-emergent weed control. There are propane torches available for weed control as well. You don't really burn the weeds, just wilt them with the torch. There are other organic weed treatments-usually a mix of camphor/cinnamon oil and acetic acid(vinegar) I'm not sure they are safer for birds than poison.

Your best bet is to use 20% vinagar for spot weeding, but take note that it will kill anything green it gets on including your grass. Use corn gluten in spring and fall as a pre-emergent to stop weed seeds from germinating. (Don't use this product in a garden) You can get both items at garden centers, but probably not the box stores.....ie. Walmart, Lowes,....ect. Any more gardening questions just PM me.
thumbsup.gif

I must have lazy birds, they have no interest in weeds. Am I feeding them too much? They do however really like bugs and thats a plus in my book.

My hens have done a pretty good job with everything but morning glory? I think that is what its called, white flowers the size of quarters, green plants and all over my grass. Any advice on organic weed control for morning glory?

morning glories are usually climbing something. i don't think i've ever seen them just growing the grass - and they're usually purple or blue. they're very pretty but can choke out other things that you want to be there.

Back
Top Bottom