Organic went out the window.. sorry everyone

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by smom1976, Jun 24, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Ok I really am a person that tries to be organic/self sufficient. We are begining to grow our own garden.. hopefully it will be as organic as possible. We have the chickens now.. I dont feed them organic chick starter but it isnt medicated.. I do feed them all the table scraps made from non organic food. We are picking all the weeds out of the BACK yard and giving them to the chickens (they love em) but as for the front being infested as bad as the back.. We are not even keeping up with the back.. I did it I broke.. [​IMG] I spraid with weed killer.. I really do want my yard to look nice at least in the front.. the back looks nice too but it has weeds and as long as the weeds are mowed it looks nice enough.. After the weed killer takes effect I plan on putting on a grass fertilizer to help the grass grow. I just cant do it all.. sorry I am somewhat a failure to the organic society. We are however looking into solar panels for the house. So I am not too much of a chemical loving earth killing user... I just dont have the time to go out every day and pick the front yard weeds too...

thanks for the listen

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You know it's so hard to be organic, it's a great and noble effort that is almost impossible at times unless you can afford to hire weed pickers. I can't use chemicals because of my allergies, so my chickens are my weed pickers and the pay isn't bad. I use manure for fertilizer, just sparingly so it doesn't smell bad and it soaks in faster.
    Don't feel bad or beat yourself up, 50% is as good 100% if you are trying.

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I'm in a similar boat. I try to do as much as I can to be organic/self-reliant/"green", but sometimes there's just things I can't do or live without.

At least making an effort to do as much to help makes a difference, as far as I'm concerned.

This isn't a "all or nothing" thing, so every little bit helps, IMO.

4. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

oh no.....you know that stuff ends up in the ground water! Better luck next time.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by