Orlando, FL area butchers

bookchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Orlando
Central Florida members -

Do any of you know of a butcher who will dress out a rooster or two? Are there any of you who raise meat birds who would be willing to do mine?

I have 6 12 week old chickens and just heard my first adolescent "crowing" this morning. I am pretty sure that I have at least 2 roosters, but I won't know for sure for the next few weeks or until I see the one who is crowing. I love all my birds and haven't decided for sure whether or not to rehome the roosters or whether to take this investment full circle. I know I couldn't kill them myself and I also can't imagine giving my roosters away on Craigslist or something and never knowing if my roos went with someone who used them for fighting. If they're going to be eaten, I'd rather eat them myself.

Thanks!

i havent called and asked if they do yet... but... in sanford is Hopkins Meat Packing.... they might...

Hopkins Meat Packing,
900 Michigan Street
Sanford, FL 32773-7220
(407) 322-9291

they would be my only lead for ya

I went through this last Thanksgiving when I was trying to get a couple of turkeys ready for their big day. Unfortunetly, the whole central Florida area is in denial about their farming roots. There is not a single place I could find in a 100 mile radius of Orlando that will process poultry. We had to watch some u-tube videos and we did it ourselves. It is not that hard, but does take some time without certain equipment like a scalder and plucker. If someone was smart they could make a killing off of renting out the two machines. If you want to make it pretty easy, you could just skin them and forgo the scalding/plucking. Good luck.

Theres all kinds of BYC'ers that would probably do it. I would offer but im not that great at doing it lol. I have done it a few times, even by myself but I didnt know how to cut out the neck lol.

As far as I know, Hopkins will not do it. They are mostely cattle, pigs, ect... If you are interested, I do take roosters in on trade for hens. In a swap, you have hens and do not have to worry about the butcher part of it. Just PM me if you are interested in a trade. I have about 20-30 hens/pullets left right now.

Tks

Sorry guys, I was working on getting some photos to post for Monkey. The darlings won't stand still as you all probably know. Here's a link to the post with photos.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4570896#p4570896

I haven't heard another crow yet, but I hope to be able to figure out who it is as soon as possible.

I guess I would definitely consider trading the roosters for another hen, depending on how many hens I end up with after I figure out how many roosters have got to go.
I appreciate your responses and I will keep the butchering as an option too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom