orloffs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Carole AM, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I'm getting some Russian Orloffs. [​IMG] What can you tell me about them?

2. shortlegs2

shortlegs2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    New Zealand
    Carole,

I can tell you everything you need to know to raise these beautiful birds. I had them for a few years. I got my line of Spangled Russian Orloffs from Barry Koffler of Feathersite. Funny thing is I had never herd nor seen the breed before. I was going to get Penedsenca eggs. He took me on tour of his place and in one of his breeding pens I saw them and that was it for me!!! I was stuck to the ground and couldnt move I ended up with Orloff eggs and Penedesenca eggs.

Hugs, Toni

This is Hawkeye
    [​IMG]
    This is hotlips not sure which one though
    [​IMG]

3. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    WoW! Thanks for the great info. My family thinks they're ugly.. but they said that about the naked necks! I love the color pattern. I'll post pix when I get them. [​IMG]

4. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    [​IMG]

Can't tell you a lot about them, but I took this picture at the national show last week. A few moments after this picture was taken, he decided to take off across the room, and in his fright/excitement, he lost half his tail feathers. His owner promptly recaptured him with one hand, picked up the tail feathers in the other and walked off with steam coming out from under his flat cap [​IMG]

5. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Meet Boris! Beautiful Russian Orloff Rooster!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Me<----- Proud Mom!

6. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Carole,
    You are sure aquiring the rare and unusual! Did you get some hens to go with that handsome fellow?
    Christie [​IMG]

7. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    YES! I found one pair there, plus some others. I got an exchequer leghorn hen also!

8. shortlegs2

Jan 22, 2007
    New Zealand
    Carole where is there? and if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the pair? just curious. I paid a butt load for mine~ Worth everypenny.

Every time I look at them my heart aches!!

Toni
    http://www.236mennella.com

9. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Well.... on the "other" BYC site, someone posted that her neighbor was having hip replacement surgery, and needed to get rid of birds. I contacted her, and went there yesterday. She's in Michigan, I'm in Indiana- so it was a 2 hour drive. This poor lady loved her birds, but couldn't care for them. She wanted $5 each for the purebreds, so I bought a bunch for myself & friends.
    There was only one pair left, and I wanted them BAD! That was the main reason to drive there! I know I got a steal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very much into the rare breeds, ever since I was a kid I liked the unusual!

10. shortlegs2

Jan 22, 2007
    New Zealand
    Bloody Hell!!!! YOU got a bargain of a lifetime. Orloffs can go for $40 a pair as long as they have a good lineage and the coloring for the breed is correct. Thats another reason I got mine from Barry Koffler he worked very hard to improve the quality of the eggs and the coloring on them, back to the way they were back in Russia.

Just in case you havent looked here's the link to Feathersite:

http://www.feathersite.com//Poultry/CGK/Orloffs/BRKOrloff.html

Hugs,
    Toni

http://www.mennella.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by