Ornamental Grasses?

GracieNut

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
Spotsylvania
I wanted to plant some ornamental grass up against my goose pen, but I was wondering if they would eat it? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Well, chickens do, I can vouch for that personally. Geese probably will, at least when the shoots are young and tender in the spring. Whether or not they'll damage it too much I can't say. I have variegated ribbon grass (Phalaris), 'Heavy Metal' Panic Grass, and a couple of kinds of Miscanthus outside of my chicken run, and they clean up everything within reach, which isn't much since they can't get far through the chicken wire skirting between the boards. A couple of times they managed to rip a hole big enough to get a head through, and enjoyed the ribbon grass, but that species grows back so quickly its hard to even notice.

I am sure it would work out fine. Worst case scenario, you could always make a hardware cloth "shield" to protect the grass from the soil line to above the reach of the geese.

My goose ate all of my ornamental grasses right to the ground. Problem is they dont just take it from the top- Henry goes right to the bottom...snip snip, gone. If he started at the top, it wouldnt be too bad.
I put cages over my new ornamental grasses and it looks like crud. He keeps it trimmed off when it sticks out of the cage.

If you want something pretty against the goose pen, consider rainbow chard.

Plant it far enough out so they can't reach the roots. They will trim all they can reach. It is excellent nutritious food and the plants can tolerate a lot of pruning.

Quote:
When I spotted the name Heavy Metal grass I have to ask if you are a customer of Plants Delights Nursery? that is the only place I have seen that cultivar avertised.

Quote:
When I spotted the name Heavy Metal grass I have to ask if you are a customer of Plants Delights Nursery? that is the only place I have seen that cultivar avertised.

No, I actually got it at the garden center I used to work at in a former life. I've seen it at a couple of other larger retail garden centers around here, too. Nice plant.

However, yes, I have ordered a couple of times from PDN.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom