Ornery Ornery!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Dec 7, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    Ok. Why in the world are my pair so darn ornery here lately? At first is was just my Drake & I chalked it up to him coming into his "man hood"- [spoiler! He hasn't gotten any better!] But now my hen, who has always been my babygirl, is acting all moody too! It's been 1 thing after another from going to the pond & not coming home..to pecking! Felix (my drake) has been chasing my chihuahua trying to Peck him..& he tries to get me when I turn around! He actually just got me in the butt while I was putting them up a few minutes ago! Is he rubbing off on my girl? Or what's going on?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds hormonal.

How old are they again?

3. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

I honestly don't have a exact age.. my hen was given to me about a year ago & she laid for the first time about 2-3ish months after I got her. & my Drake I just got for her a few of months ago. He just got his first Drake feathers after they molted at the end of August- being of September. Does that help?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your just seeing adulthood. When you hear your drake coming up behind you turn around and go after him arms wider open like your going to pick him up. You have to be fast to throw him off guard. If that doesn't help then you need to place both knees on either side of him with his head facing away from you and put one hand behind his neck where body begins and hold him down till he stops squirming then let him go you will have to do this many times till he gets the idea you are not to be bitten or molested in any way. You can even use a long pole or broom to keep him from getting close. But the down on the belly with you over top is best because that makes you the dominant one and not him. When you hold him down don't let him turn around and bite at you. Keep his head down too No biting is allowed. All of us who have drakes have gone through this and those of us who kept them and used this method have seen a much better drake because of it. Tough Love.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  5. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

Thank you!! What about Flossy? Is he just rubbing off on her? Or is it her hormones as well... because she has starting mating since we got Felix. & don't get me wrong she isn't bad at all compared to him & she doesn't charge me or bite me, buy I can tell a attitude change! For sure!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes she has grown up. you probably won't be able to hold her any m ore with out a fight most of my ducks will eat out of my hand but if I reach to pet one they are quick. They don't like to be touched. I do go out daily and spend time with them giving out dried meal worms. I know they trust me they just aren't cuddly like a dog or cat would be. Other than my drake who I raised in the house for his first 12 weeks[mom rejected him] so he doesn't mind me petting and smooching on him. Hormones and mating begins a different chapter in their lives and we get to tag along and enjoy. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by