Ornery Orphington

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sojourner2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Sojourner2

Sojourner2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I was sooo lucky with my order last May - Only one Roo and it was a Buff Orph. which I've heard are great tempered birds. Well, He is now intent on attacking anyone who gets too close, gets between him and a female or just looks cross eyed at him. I've kneed him away - chased him back, taken a shovel to him( gently - don't call the police) and he just keeps attacking, also picking on the females will this behavior subside? Is he just going through a "phase"? I started calling him stewpot but he hasn't gotten the hint!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Buff Orpingtons are generally nice birds but there is always one to buck the trend. He will get the message when you actually put him IN the pot. Ornery roos don't last long around here, there is always a nicer one waiting to take over.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

My BO rooster Moose got his name when he went through his ornery phase -- it is short for Mean Orp Rooster. [​IMG] I did find it necessary to take him to task a few times for being too mean with the youngsters and too rough on some of the hens. This was when he was about 9 or 10 mos. old. It lasted for about a month or so. At the time my alpha roo was a huge RIR named Sarge. Sarge wouldn't put up with any guff from Moose and wouldn't tolerate his meanness with the others IF he was anywhere around while it was taking place. Unfortunately, I lost my beloved Sarge when he was defending his girls from a coyote attack. This left Moose in the Alpha role. He was very subdued at first, but then relaxed and stepped into the leadership role. When he did, the hormonal stuff stopped and he settled into a wonderful flock leader. He still keeps the little guys in line and will break up a skirmish if he sees or hears it. Don't give up on your boy; he may just be trying to do his job as flock protector. Try picking him up and carrying him around for 5-10 min. the next time he bows up on you. I did that with Moose -- he hated it, and once he figured out it was going to happen each time he confronted me, he started deciding it wasn't worth it. [​IMG]

4. Sojourner2

Sojourner2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Good Idea - I'll try that - he hates to be touched right now - and he is at that 10 month age.

5. ksulley

ksulley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    Funny...I have a 9 month old Buff roo and he just went after me today! He flapped his wings and came at me with his feet!
    As you all know they are big roosters! He has pecked at my leg a couple times pretty hard when I wasnt looking. I fear I have
    a mean rooster! I have a silkie rooster who is so sweet but don't think can protect the flock very well. Kinda a wimp and can't see! lol

6. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Every time he acts up, carry him upside down. He'll stop. If not, in a couple more months he'll make a nice 8-9 pound sunday dinner.

7. ksulley

Sep 11, 2010
    So how do i grab him when he is coming at me with his feet? dont want to sound silly but when ya see him coming straight on, not sure what to grab? His feet? [​IMG]

8. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    I'd grab him by the neck so you don't get spurred and then turn him upside downI'd also remove his spur at least until you tame him.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    There is a thread here from someone who suggests picking the roo up and carrying him around (not upside down, but like a football) a while every time they try to attack. Others say to chase them around with a broom and otherwise torment and 'attack' them until they submit. In any case, you can't turn your back to them. If you really want a roo around it might be worth trying one or all of the different approaches. If it's not important, I'd bet he would be very tasty.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. ksulley

Sep 11, 2010
    Yes, Buff Orpingtons are quite meaty! lol
    I put him on craigslist. I have too many people coming and going because its a horse farm
    so I can't risk anyone getting attacked because my chickens free range.
    I have a silkie rooster who is real sweet. Is that good enough for a rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by