orp chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by loupan, Dec 18, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    can anyone tell me what they think the colour of this orp will be its 3 weeks old now has an awesome stripe going down back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Im realy realy hopeing its a hen has awesome personality [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
  3. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    I was told it was an orp it was the only one that hatched yellow the rest were all black i have a black one to i literally picked it out of the hatching tray with the other eggs that had hatched was a day old [​IMG] it better be becoese thats what i paid for lol

4. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Looks like a ckl to me. Buff,Black,White and Blue are the APA recognized colors.The chick is none of those.

5. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    sorry whats a ckl im a newbie at this [​IMG]

6. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    also do you think it looks like it gonna be a roo i have a feeling its gonna be [​IMG]

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Its possible it will shed all the yellow and go black on black but I do not think so. Sorry if I have alarmed you with no intent at all.

8. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    No worries at all im not worried what it is as long as its a hen [​IMG] still love it to bits anyway ,be a little anoyed if the breeder has told me a porky though [​IMG]

9. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    I have been googling chicks that look the same and went onto the feathersite.com and it looks like it could be a jubilee orpington the chick on there looks exactly the same which means if it is will be stunning when older gosh i wish i could tell if it is hen or roo becouse if it is a jubilee i realy realy realy dont want to have to rehome [​IMG] im more anxious now then ever [​IMG]

10. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I'm not familiar with Jubilee Orpingtons - I have Lavender Orpingtons. I could guess by week 4 but could tell for sure at age 6 weeks who was the rooster and who were the hens. The hens still have light colored combs and wattles. The rooster's comb and wattle was very red.

At 4 weeks Francis, our rooster, started showing redder comb and wattles. He's the one on the left side.
    [​IMG]

Here they are at 6 weeks old - the one at the bottom of the ramp is our rooster.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by