Orp, Chook? say WHAT?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FisherMOM, Sep 4, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    ok, Since I now own and Australorp..
    I know what the term "Orp" means.

Now someone tell me.. what i a "Chook"? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    ok, maybe ORP isn't for Australorp.

Maybe it's for Orpington?

[​IMG]

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

an Orp is an Orpington (which used to be what Australorps are but have been developed & changed since the original orpingtons went to australia.. since they kept it "original" they named it an Australorp)

Chook(s)... now that one I've seen everywhere and near as I can tell it's common "overseas" slang for chicks/chickens... but I could be wrong. I rarely see it used by N. Americans.. I think it's cute

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Back in the 17th century, the Chinese Hen Organization Of Kowloon promoted the keeping of chickens in backyards. Soon "Chook" became synonymous with "chicken" throughout Hong Kong, and thence through much of the world.

:|

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW.. that's a cool origin I think!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Back in the 17th century, the Chinese Hen Organization Of Kowloon promoted the keeping of chickens in backyards. Soon "Chook" became synonymous with "chicken" throughout Hong Kong, and thence through much of the world.

I'd like to see the source for this please. Not sure how widespread the use of English was in 17th century China

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  7. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
  8. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire

I'd like to see the source for this please. Not sure how widespread the use of English was in 17th century China

Okay, I made that up. It actually comes from a Victorian-era military acronym, "Chicken Hero, Order Of, Keeping". It was awarded to people who kept hens in their victory gardens during the Napoleonic campaigns.

Edited to add:

again.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  9. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Quote:And the second one, too.

I'm pretty sure "chook" is onomatopoeic.

10. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    A few Canadians I know use the term...but it may just be just my friends...nothing to do with Canada. I will have to ask now........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by