Orp first timer hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EweSheep, Apr 22, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well my black broody Orp banty hen sat on Graceful Bantam's Hamburg eggs and managed to hatch out one but she rejected it even I've put it back under her numberous times. Every time, I go out to check on her, the egg was thrown out. the chick was pipped but this morning it was dead and bloody as well. It was due on Saturday but it was three days late. Nothing wrong with the chick that I could see. Maybe it was her first time or she knows there is something wrong with the chick itself.

I will give her a break but she insist to brood the other hen's eggs, should I continue to let her incubate those eggs too? She has been sitting on them for four weeks solid (broody time). I would love to give her a break but she wont have it.

Her sister is coming close to three weeks broody and I've got another batch of Orp bantam eggs under her and it will be one week from today I believe that I let her set on them. Not sure how LONG they will continue to be broody, I figured after four weeks, they would get up and give up.

I also got my Amercuana banty hen sitting on them as well so all three of them are all babysitting six of those eggs!

2. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    One of my hens has been broody for 2 months. After a couple of weeks, one of the other hens decides they want to sit on the eggs and she's a bit smaller so she lets them. I thought she would've given up by now too, but I was definitely wrong. I finally got a couple of eggs under her that are just starting to hatch right now, even though it's day 24! I hope she can finally be the mom she's been trying to be!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I am guessing they are bad as Silkies in the broody department! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by