Orphan chick survival tips please!

tangerinedreams

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
I have been given a bantam chick whose family/siblings were killed by a cat, I think he's a few days to a week old.

I introduced him to my 3 other fully grown bantams who didn't take kindly to him and pecked him. One of my fully grown chickens is broody at the moment and is sitting on 11 eggs in her nest.

I've now sealed off a little area of the coop with a glass screen so that the others can see the chick and hopefully get used to him!

I'm just after tips on helping him to survive on his own, I'm in England and the temp is between 4-10 celsius at the moment. I have put an open fronted card board box with some hay in it for him to sleep in, and a water/food pot. He is eating and drinking well so far. Its mainly the cold that is worrying me, especially overnight, every time I put my hand out near him he will run over and snuggle up in my hand. He will cheep like crazy and try to jump back into my hand if I put him back down. I can also feel his little legs shaking, he's very brave so don't think he is scared but just cold.

Any advice is very welcome! Thanks.

Do you have a way to hook up a heat lamp for the chick? If cold is the issue, a heat lamp is a good solution if the chick can't be in with the bigger birds. Another option would be to bring the chick indoors with a heat lamp, then once the chick is older (about 4 weeks) work on introducing it to the rest of your flock.

I don't have a heat lamp unfortunately. I'm really kicking myself that I haven't bought one.

I suppose I could bring it inside but in 4 weeks time the eggs that are being sat on will have hatched and wouldn't that make my adults even less likely to accept him?

I don't have a heat lamp unfortunately. I'm really kicking myself that I haven't bought one.

I suppose I could bring it inside but in 4 weeks time the eggs that are being sat on will have hatched and wouldn't that make my adults even less likely to accept him?

That part I don't know. I think if you do a gradual introduction after 4 weeks they might still accept him, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

How about using one of those rice bags that are heated in the microwave? Put a towel over it so the chick doesn't burn or get too hot. You could wrap it in a circle so it as kind of nest-like. Like huddling with other chicks.
Best,
Karen
in PA, USA

Back
Top Bottom