Orphan Rouens, 1 is ill, please help, thankyou

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MuleSkinner, Nov 22, 2011.

1. MuleSkinner

MuleSkinner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    Hi. This last spring we got a girl and a boy Rouen. Uncle Cracker and Aunt Smacky had 9 eggs which we set under a cochin. 7 eggs hatched, 2 didn't make it. The new babies are a few days older than 3 weeks.
    The youngest and smallest isn't thriving and has become ill.
    Aunt Smacky died just as we collected the last of her eggs the day Uncle Cracker went missing (chicken hawk?). We suspect a flying predator, perhaps an owl. Anyway we have these babies and 6 are doing great, they've been moved outside to a nice covered pen with a doghouse shelter with hay and a pool-the whole nine yards. When it's very cold we bring them into the living room (in a big birdcage) in front of the fireplace and next to a heater and lamp.

WeeBit is ill. She's gasping like her nose is stuffed up and seems rather weak. The gasping comes and goes. She's eating and drinking and going poop. She's been sick for about 4 days.
    The guy at the co-op recommended tetracycline which we started yesterday. She seems to be getting better. Her food is starter feed, mashed boiled eggs and some organic baby food (green beans and squash-which she doesn't seem to like). She loves the eggs and feed.
    WeeBit is in the bathroom with heat and a lamp staying warm and dry.

Will some people with experience please help us figure out what to do about getting WeeBit well? Any advice on the other babies would be appreciated, too.

Please forgive me for not properly introducing myself, I'll try to get on that asap. I just registered a few minutes ago but have been reading for quite a while and trying to learn. Raising ducks is new for us as Uncle Cracker and Aunt Smacky were our firsts. We started raising chickens about a year and a half ago and are new at that, too.
    Most of the new chickens we bought at the livestock market have come down with some sort of green booger-bubble affliction-I know this is a whole other issue that needs to be addressed in the proper forum.
    Thanks in advance. I need to go check on everyone again before it gets dark so I'll be back later to see if anyone responds and to ask about the chicken illness/read more.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It sounds like it could be a respiratory infection. Keep her warm and make sure her bedding doesn't get damp. I would suggest adding electrolytes to help her build some strength. I hope WeeBit feels better [​IMG]

3. MuleSkinner

Nov 22, 2011
    Hi. Thanks, what about the electrolytes, is that like gator aid or pedi-lite for baby children? Can ducks get that green booger-bubble affliction that our chickens just came down with?
    Thanks for the quick response, I'm overwhelmed and don't know what to do.

4. MuleSkinner

Nov 22, 2011
    And what about antibiotics? Will the tetracycline help or do I need to get something else? How about colloidal silver, we have some of that in the fridge?

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Yes pedialite. No they don't get boogers, maybe if VERY sick. Make sure she is warm but not too warm or give an option for her to get away from the heat. Ducks are generally very hardy and don't often require medications. The tetracycline may help. You can add some sugar to her water if she seems weak but it seems as though she is just not thriving.

It seems like you are doing what you can for now.

If she is the runt she may have some problems that are not evident and may not make it. Sorry. It is the price we pay for raising them [​IMG] .

Also, make sure you fix whatever security issues caused the loss of mom and dad before you let the babies out. Otherwise, your time will have been wasted. [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

6. MuleSkinner

Nov 22, 2011
    Hi and thank you! We have the baby ducks in a complete enclosure-netting on top. About a week ago we saw a chicken hawk fly over and when the dogs saw it they went crazy and started patrolling around the chicken yards. That's why we think Uncle Cracker got scooped up. Aunt Smacky got under the door somehow and we found her dead in the dog yard but the dogs didn't eat on her and it didn't look like they bit her either. So right now we are just concerned about keeping the ducks well. We bring them in the living room in a nice big cage when it's really cold. WeeBit is doing okay, she's smaller than the rest and hasn't seemed to grow as fast. She eats alot, stays warm but not too warm, she's sweet and she likes us. All the ducks like us and eat out of our hands. We don't know yet if they are girls or boys. We will get a new boy for the girls on account of they are all brothers and sisters, not sure about duck genetics but it seems like mating brothers and sisters may not be a wise idea.
    What sort of problems do runts have?

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Runts can have limb issues, sight problems, weakened immune systems, as well as sometimes they just pass away from unapparent reasons.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:One thing you said that could be a problem is bringing them in and out, warm inside cold outside, that can create problems in itself. you don't say where you live but if the ducklings are a little over 3 weeks having them ouside might be a bit early. they aren't feathered out enough to handle the weather. they need warmth and having them in and out at this young age could be causing weeBits problem, There is a product called Nutri Drench that is fast acting and really does help when you have one that is weak, also make sure they all have a water pan deep enough that they can wash out their nares and whole face actually, and be careful at the age they are if they fall into a pool or bucket and can't get out they can drown. Hope WeeBit starts feeling better real Quick...
    http://barnyardsandbackyards.org/2010/09/18/review-nutri-drench/ sorry for your loss and [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I would agree with the vitamins and everything people have been saying. I have a runt who i actually thought was a micro and she wasnt doing good for awhile. Turns out she has a heart murmer that causes her growth problems and alot of other problems. But i did the same. Kept her warm and inside with vitamins and close attention and now she is doing great out with all my ducks! I just have to be carful about stress with her and her heart issues.

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Our littlest one, Elfie, needed some extra vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics early and is now a robust member of the flock.

Ducklings need to be able to wash out their nares so they need some water deep enough to dunk their little heads into. Do they have that?

Warm water (85 - 90F) swims - supervised - with water just to the top of her legs may help. Follow those up with a long dry-off time where it's clean, warm and dry . . . if she doesn't immediately start to preen, help her by drying her off with a dry washcloth or hand towel.

She may need to stay in the warm place until she's over what sounds like a sinus/respiratory infection.

If you can get your hands on Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, that has a section on treating common illnesses and injuries.

While she's on antibiotics, please give her some probiotics. You can get those at a feed store (I bought mine online) or put a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt into a cup of water and give her that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by