Orphan Silkie hen needs home

Mugwump87

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2018
I rescued a year-old splash Silkie hen from a neighbor's coop where three larger chickens were trying to kill her. We have her in a 3 ft. by 2 ft. pen on our closed-in back porch. She has a box of straw in there and a perch low enough that she can jump up on it to roost. She spends the day following my wife around outside, helping her to plant flowers and pull weeds. She loves to be held and will go to sleep if you hold her. But the Silkie, who is about 14 months old, is lonely and needs some companionship. We have no chicken coop or facilities suitable for a chickens, especially during the winter, so we have to find a good, safe, home for her where she will be loved and not killed or injured by man or beast.

I'm sure she is not show quality but we don't care. My wife and I are not show quality either. She is a sweet little thing and needs a decent home where someone will take care of her. I am 87 and my wife is 84 so Tink will likely be around a lot longer than we will. If you have any idea where we can find her a good home, please let us know. I'll put her in the car and drive her anywhere (within reason) I need to go. We wouldn't want her to end up on someone's table for dinner. If you know of someone who would like to care for a friendly little hen, I’ll deliver her to their door. We live in Southeastern Iowa. Kenny

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the hen I'm trying to find a home for:
P6150101.JPG
P6150154.JPG
P6150078.JPG

Back
Top Bottom