Orphaned Baby Possums

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CarlitosRussito, Mar 7, 2017.

1. CarlitosRussito

CarlitosRussito Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    I had a problem with possums recently that took the life of my oldest and favorite rooster(the one in my profile pic)It was very heartbreaking for me when I found him.(He is what brought me here to start!) I made sure to keep my birds safe from opossums and other predators. one day i was searching in my back alley and found a dead possum on the road, i thought "good ridence!" seemed a car had hit it. But upon closer look, I notice movement and I flipped her over to see a pouch full of hairless baby possums! For that moment I felt bad for them and couldn't just leave them there, I read on how to safely remove them from the mother's pouch, and I removed all 11 babies from her. I've heard how the animal shelter from a friend who used to work there that they will put them down, so I thought maybe I can care for them, and wanted to ask those who faced similar situations (I know how to raise baby chicks without the hen, why not possum babies?) knowing what to feed them would help me alot, and other helpful tips can do good. I don't plan on keeping them as pets, I want them to get old enough and fit so they can be released back to the wild.

2. CarlitosRussito

Aug 13, 2014
    Also I don't know to post here or on other pets, these are the young of a predator.[​IMG]

3. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    You (and the joeys) would be better off if you would google to see if there's a list of wildlife rehabilitators or wildlife rehabilitation centers in your area where you can take the joeys. Wildlife can require special diet/forumla in order to give them the best chance at surviving.

Best of luck.

4. CarlitosRussito

Aug 13, 2014
    Thank you.

5. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    X2 on finding a wildlife rehabber. The problem with raising wild baby anything (besides the obvious difficulty meeting their often specific health and nutrition needs) is that without a mother animal to teach them things it is very unlikely they will survive if released. Additionally, they will be acclimated to humans and with no fear of humans will get into all sorts of trouble if released.

6. pamela80

pamela80 New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    I resectly became a momof 4 baby possums 2 of them didn't make it threw the night they had lots of ant bits so sad them I feed the other two kitten flomula they are doing good on it a week past I didn't know they could get too hot I cooked one of them felt horable them the other one escaped lost for 10 hours I figured a snake got him them at 2 am I herd him cry I jumped out of bed ITS THE POSSUM! Was so happy he was ok I was so heartbroken about the others so the kitten milk is not ok now I take him in my shirt everywhere I have no clue how old he is his eyes are open but the others where not has so tiny I feel really bad for him and already attached what ate some things I can do so wet cat food is no good I had farrett and raid them in kitten milk

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. pamela80

pamela80 New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    [​IMG]help me help him in love already

8. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    @pamela80, I can not say it strongly enough.

CONTACT A WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR AND TURN THIS OPPOSSUM PUP OVER TO THEM.

They will be able to care for it correctly or at least advise you how to do so. Two have died because you weren't able to attend to their medical needs (antbites). Another has dies because you were ignorant to their environmental needs (temperature). And now you are having difficulty meeting the nutritional needs of the only remaining pup.

If you truly care about this animal, don't post on a CHICKEN forum (of all places!). As was suggested earlier in the thread, contact someone qualified to help.

9. pamela80

pamela80 New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    I
    Did they didn't return my call also I live 50 miles out and had no car I have taken the other one to a vet also got the vet recomed food for it as soon. As I got him I looked at websites and I had the kitten flomula from the farrett I raised I have a appointment to follow up on shots also the pup that died was really weak on i had the heating pad underneath the box on low only on a small corner. On it I think it got injured by my dog BC it 2as still in the pouch I called the vet the next morning

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. pamela80

pamela80 New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    I have chickens so I've been on this site and ran across the possums other people aren't very nice to them

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by