1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orphaned Chick Care?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kuroshitsuji, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Kuroshitsuji

Kuroshitsuji New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    My teacher works at a ranch and at work she saw a baby chick on the ground. She tried to put it with the hen but the hen kept walking away or pecking at it so she asked me to foster it. It was cold so I got it under a heat lamp and it seems to be doing better. I got it to drink but it has not eaten yet. Can anyone tell me how I can best care for it? I have a chick waterer and starter feed. Also, I know that chicks not raised with others cannot be integrated into other flocks so I was debating on getting it another chick but this one was half their size and he looked kind of exhausted and I didn't want other chicks to pick on it. What should I do as far as socialization goes? A woman at my church has chickens and she took the last two I fostered; she takes them when they are fully feathered. Would he be okay by himself until then? What should I do?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Keep it warm. Put a little sugar in the water... it's what I do and it's always worked for me.... and as long as you have starter it should start eating... I sometimes put crumble starter in the blender and make it into a mash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by