Orphaned chick in flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flakey chick, Jun 26, 2010.

1. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Last night a raccoon got our broody. It was inside a dog crate inside a pen. Her lone baby survived and was outside the pen cheeping it's head off. I only have one other chicken in the flock- a 1 year old game hen. The OEGB is being a bit nasty to the chick. I have handled the chick a good bit before when she was with mama. After having her mama killed by raccoon hands, she seems especially scared of my hands.

The chick is just 2 weeks old and is starting to get body feathers. She can fly and is now used to free-ranging. It's so warm out she only needs mama's heat at night. I just don't know what to do to handle the flock. Her mama was the smart one who understood being crated inside the house was safe. She would hop right in when I called her to and the other chickens learned from her. The remaining hen is very aloof and I have a hard time handling her. I don't know if I should crate both of them at night- maybe separately? I suppose I should concentrate on a safe place for the chick where she can escape the OEGB.

I think I am done with raising chickens. My original 2 pets are gone. The OEGB was a "pet" for my broody girl to make her happy (and increase the flock- with only 2, the other would get lonely when one went to lay). After the alpha hen was killed by a dog, I let my broody have another "pet", and again increase the size of the flock so they aren't so lonely. How should I find a home for these girls?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    If you are seriuos about getting rid of them try the Auctions here and just put $0.00 for listing price... Until then I would set up a secure area for the baby with a low wattage heat light for the night time. Your Oegb may kill it if they are left together

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks so much for your reply. I have secured the baby in the downstairs part of the tractor. The OEGB can reach the upstairs with roost and nesting box from the pen. Baby comes in at night with heat lamp (and cuddles). She has been a bit of a velcro chick- trying to snuggle under my chin and crying if I leave her. It was a trying night last night.

My mom has contacted a neighbor to take the chicks. If that doesn't work out, I will post on this site.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Well im glad you have it worked it.. I am sad that you wont have chickens anymore but I do understand.. I am majorly cutting down atm as i am going thru 200 lbs a feed a week.. [​IMG] Hopefully i'll still see you around on here though...

5. Miss Cheng

Miss Cheng Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Posting deleted.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by