Orphans in winter

nataliegrinks

Songster
6 Years
Feb 10, 2017
I have two orphan Saddle Back racer/Homers I’ve hand raised indoors for the past month. They are starting to fly and should be returned to the flock. It’s 40 degrees today and will be in the high twenties at night. My question is how to put them back in the loft outdoors in the barn when they are used to it be 65 degrees indoors. I’m sure I’m overly cautious, but I want them to make it. Please let me know if you’ve had a similar situation and have input. We’ve been raising for a few years, but haven’t had this situation come up yet. Thanks!!

Black saddles! You can't say that around me without photos! Where do you live? Are they good homers?
So, they are a mix. I had saddle back racers and through tragedy ended up with one. (Hawks and crazy wind storms)
He actually went out after a while and brought home ladies:) He “dated” three girls before he settled on one. She looked like a blue homer. We never knew where she came from. They made all the pigeons we have now. I have no idea if they are good homers. I have never trained them to do that. I’m too scared I’ll lose more:( They have a huge loft in my barn and can come and go as they please. We live in Maryland. I really just love watching them fly:) Today is warmer so the babies may stay out all night. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 685A4F39-CAB8-4A1C-92C0-1E00D7EEA839.jpeg
    685A4F39-CAB8-4A1C-92C0-1E00D7EEA839.jpeg
    492.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 854B8653-0A56-42D3-BF23-36C69DEEB033.jpeg
    854B8653-0A56-42D3-BF23-36C69DEEB033.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 6
Thank you! That’s where my thoughts were as well. The trap on the loft is open, but they are just learning to fly and I highly doubt they could maneuver it. The king pigeon is very good about teaching all the babies to fly.

I have two orphan Saddle Back racer/Homers I’ve hand raised indoors for the past month. They are starting to fly and should be returned to the flock. It’s 40 degrees today and will be in the high twenties at night. My question is how to put them back in the loft outdoors in the barn when they are used to it be 65 degrees indoors. I’m sure I’m overly cautious, but I want them to make it. Please let me know if you’ve had a similar situation and have input. We’ve been raising for a few years, but haven’t had this situation come up yet. Thanks!!

I'd be tempted to put them out during the day and bring them in for the evening for a week or so. Then leave them out overnight and observe closely. Good luck.
I had that situation last year around this time and did just what Sour described. It worked out fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom