1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orphington wheezing --- HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by remist17, Aug 15, 2013.

1. remist17

remist17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a orphington that is 2 1/2 years old wheezing. She is having a hard time breathing in and out. Her comb is a purple red and she does not look good. I put some Vet RX on her beak and in the water but I am not sure what it is.

I have another in the flock sneezing. I am not sure if these birds are coming down with a repertory infection.

What should I treat them with or do?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would get some Tylan 50 and treat anybody showing signs of illness. The oral dose is 1/2 cc for standard size chickens daily for 5 days. Chickens don't get simple colds they get respiratory diseases. The disease itself usually does not kill them but the resulting pneumonia and bacterial infections can and do. Your Orpington may be to far along to save at this point if she's having that hard of a time breathing but I'd get the meds and try anyway. Giving them plenty of fluids and electrolytes helps too as they usually don't drink enough when they are sick.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. clintdaniels83

clintdaniels83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Tylan 50 is a miracle drug for chickens. I have had a few that I thought I lost, and it pulled them through

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I, too, would recommend treating your sick bird(s) with Tylan50 or Tylan200. Both antibiotics come in an oral and injectable form; the injectable form tends to work better. The injectable Tylan50 dosage is 1cc for large-fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. The injectable Tylan200 dosage is .5ccs for large-fowl, .2-.3ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 3-4 days. When injecting, use the smallest gauge needle possible, and alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, as Tylan tends to make the injection area sore.

Do not give dairy products or probiotics during Tylan treatment, or use Apple Cider Vinegar in the water. Vitamins and electrolytes are fine, though, and they will help build up your chicken's strength.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. remist17

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    is there egg withdraw during the antibodics?

6. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    While treating with Tylan, do not eat the eggs. However, there is no after-treatment withdrawal period; you can eat the eggs upon discontinuation of the treatment.

7. clintdaniels83

Mar 10, 2013
    I always toss for 24 hours after treatment

8. remist17

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you all. Hen died shortly after posting. No one else show signs of sickness. We will see what happens

9. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss.

10. clintdaniels83

Mar 10, 2013
    If you see any signs of spreading, act fast

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by